Kiteboarding on soft sand

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2002
      I found it's very hard to kiteboard with my mountain board on somewhat
      soft sand (that's all we have around here). Is there any place I can get
      bigger mountainboard wheels for soft sand and do they actually work?

      P.S., I currently prefer grass fields but the wind is very gusty and not
      as clean.

      Hung.
    • ian@gettingnervous.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2002
        Hung,

        What kind of mountain board have you got???

        I am in Ireland and I use Scrub Mountain boards, you can get an upgrade to
        put buggy wheels on them here: www.mobilekiteshop.com

        ian

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2002
          I have a GrassShopper I think (as recommended by Mountainboard for my
          weight). I heard that they have the 10" diameter Big Knobby wheels
          (compared to my standard 8" wheels) but I don't know whether the bigger
          wheels will work.

          Would buggy wheels fit a Mountainboard? How big are the buggy wheels
          you are talking about?

          Hung.

        • ian@gettingnervous.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2002
            I think they might actually work with other brands aswell because it is an
            entirely new truck rather than just new axles/whatever.

            ian

            > What kind of mountain board have you got???
            >
            > I am in Ireland and I use Scrub Mountain boards, you can get an upgrade to
            > put buggy wheels on them here: www.mobilekiteshop.com
            >
            > ian

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Pauric
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2002
              Although I have never seen anyone use the scrub axles with buggy wheels on an all terrain board, buggys find it hard going in soft sand.. the friction generated is quite high. Buggies also have the advantage of only 3 wheels. Bear in mind that larger wheels will raise the boards centre of gravity substantially causing all sorts of problems

              I would imagine that the combination of 4 buggy wheels (loads of friction) on a grasshopper (short-ish board) with wide axles and a really high centre will mean you will probably struggle to get up wind.

              It all really depends on how soft the sand is, if you're getting about 1-2 inch depression in to the sand whilst stood on your board then I reckon its worth the investment (again I've never run this setup but an educated guess says it will work) however if the sand it softer than that then you'll struggle. For example, here's the extremes buggys go to to run on soft sand

              http://www.geocities.com/grimble2_uk/gal/Borkum1999/DK11.jpg

              The front wheel is a 'normal' sized buggy wheel.

              Have you thought about using a wakeboard on sand?

              07 April 2002 18:19
              To: <ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com>
              cc:

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8, 2002
                Pauric wrote:
                > It all really depends on how soft the sand is, if you're getting about 1-2 inch depression in to the sand whilst stood on your board then I reckon its worth the investment (again I've never run this setup but an educated guess

                It's more like soft dirt so I think that bigger wheels may work.

                > Have you thought about using a wakeboard on sand?

                I tried and it only worked for downwind run.