RE: [ksurfschool] controlling wakeboard speed

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
      Ian,

      I think we all know that feeling. I want to bail out, but I can get my
      body to do it.
      To get the kite flying more in front of you and control your speed you
      must be first be in control.
      Once critical speed is reached.... Well you know what happens..
      Its like the scene from Willy Wonka when the "rowers keep rowing and
      there are no signs of slowing,...."

      Try edging as hard as soon as you drop the kite into the power zone and
      point the board hard up wind.
      Ride in a super slow controlled manor keeping the board pointed up wind
      if the kite starts to pull hard and stars turning you down wind sit down
      and hold the edge and let the kite fly forward of you again.
      "rinse and repeat!"
      Keep doing this until you can ride comfortable very slowly controlling
      the speed so that you are just standing up and moving.

      Once you have this under control you can start to bare off slightly and
      allow the board to gain in speed.
      As soon as you pick up some speed keep that edge on! If you feel the
      "train a' coming" sit it down~! Regain control and start again.

      Keep doing this and you will learn a lot about power control using the
      edge.

      When over powered bring the kite low in the sky and drop that edge. It's
      a little counter intuitive to drop the kite lower but it allows you to
      get leverage on the kite.
      The pull will be intense as the kite flies toward the edge of the window
      but it will subside quickly if you keep that edge on.

      Philip

      Philip Mann
      Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
      http://www.inlandsea.com
      Kitesite.net
      http://www.kitesite.net
      toll free 888-465-2632

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
        Thanks a million for all of your replies...

        The general consensus ( thanks for the great tips Philip ) is to just keep
        on edging and edging and edging even if it feels like a bail out is more
        appropriate.

        Keep the kite low, ( even if this "feels" wrong ), keep an even distribution
        of weight on both feet, and edge high into the wind. If I am succesfull this
        will keep down the boardspeed and eventually allow me to gain more control
        about just how fast I want to go????

        cool, thanks.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
          Ian,

          Right on. As you start to feel over powered bring the kite low to the
          water and edge hard.

          Have fun

          Philip

          Philip Mann