RE: [ksurfschool] controlling wakeboard speed

  • Anton Potgieter
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
      Hi,

      I had a similar problem and took a while to get past it - maybe one of the
      pros out there can give the mechanics of what is happening, but basically,
      although at first it seems not logical, you have to edge HARDER, point the
      board more UPWIND, fly the kite LOWER, and just hang in ... sort of mind
      over matter until you get the hang of it. Depowering on the chicken loop
      also allows the kite to go further upwind. Don't try and fly the kite
      higher to bleed off power, it has the opposite effect, and ends up lifting
      you so you can't hold the edge properly ...

      Regards,
      Anton

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
        ian@... wrote:
        > My main problem being that as I get going I get faster and faster until everything just gets madly out of control resulting in some serious wipe outs. The area where I ride is a little bit choppy which doesn't help the matter but I imagine that once I learn to reduce the speed, the chop wont be such a problem.
        >
        > I've watched boost several times and it isn't something that they go too far into. When I try and edge harder upwind I find it progressively harder and harder to hold the edge and I slide into an even worse wipe-out.

        Sounds like you are in the going-too-fast and going-too-slow dilemma.

        When you are going too fast, the kite simply makes you going faster and
        faster until you fall.

        When you are going too slow, the kite simply yank you right out of your
        board.

        The trick is not to go with the pull of the kite nor to put the board
        perdendicular to the kite but slightly forward such that you have some
        forward moving force. Try to balance such condition with BOTH of your
        feet and not just with the front nor the back foot.

        Hung.
      • Philip
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
          Ian,

          I think we all know that feeling. I want to bail out, but I can get my
          body to do it.
          To get the kite flying more in front of you and control your speed you
          must be first be in control.
          Once critical speed is reached.... Well you know what happens..
          Its like the scene from Willy Wonka when the "rowers keep rowing and
          there are no signs of slowing,...."

          Try edging as hard as soon as you drop the kite into the power zone and
          point the board hard up wind.
          Ride in a super slow controlled manor keeping the board pointed up wind
          if the kite starts to pull hard and stars turning you down wind sit down
          and hold the edge and let the kite fly forward of you again.
          "rinse and repeat!"
          Keep doing this until you can ride comfortable very slowly controlling
          the speed so that you are just standing up and moving.

          Once you have this under control you can start to bare off slightly and
          allow the board to gain in speed.
          As soon as you pick up some speed keep that edge on! If you feel the
          "train a' coming" sit it down~! Regain control and start again.

          Keep doing this and you will learn a lot about power control using the
          edge.

          When over powered bring the kite low in the sky and drop that edge. It's
          a little counter intuitive to drop the kite lower but it allows you to
          get leverage on the kite.
          The pull will be intense as the kite flies toward the edge of the window
          but it will subside quickly if you keep that edge on.

          Philip

          Philip Mann
          Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
          http://www.inlandsea.com
          Kitesite.net
          http://www.kitesite.net
          toll free 888-465-2632

          > My main problem being that as I get going I get faster and faster
          > until everything just gets madly out of control resulting in some
          > serious wipe outs. The area where I ride is a little bit choppy which
          > doesn't help the matter but I imagine that once I learn to reduce the
          > speed, the chop wont be such a problem.
          >
          > I've watched boost several times and it isn't something that they go
          > too far into. When I try and edge harder upwind I find it
          > progressively harder and harder to hold the edge and I slide into an
          > even worse wipe-out.

          Sounds like you are in the going-too-fast and going-too-slow dilemma.

          When you are going too fast, the kite simply makes you going faster and
          faster until you fall.

          When you are going too slow, the kite simply yank you right out of your
          board.

          The trick is not to go with the pull of the kite nor to put the board
          perdendicular to the kite but slightly forward such that you have some
          forward moving force. Try to balance such condition with BOTH of your
          feet and not just with the front nor the back foot.

          Hung.

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • ian@gettingnervous.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
            Thanks a million for all of your replies...

            The general consensus ( thanks for the great tips Philip ) is to just keep
            on edging and edging and edging even if it feels like a bail out is more
            appropriate.

            Keep the kite low, ( even if this "feels" wrong ), keep an even distribution
            of weight on both feet, and edge high into the wind. If I am succesfull this
            will keep down the boardspeed and eventually allow me to gain more control
            about just how fast I want to go????

            cool, thanks.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
              Ian,

              Right on. As you start to feel over powered bring the kite low to the
              water and edge hard.

              Have fun

              Philip

              Philip Mann