controlling wakeboard speed

  • ian@gettingnervous.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 1:41 PM
      Guys,

      Probably a topic that re occurs regularly but it's one with which I am having a lot of trouble as a beginner on wakeboards.

      My main problem being that as I get going I get faster and faster until everything just gets madly out of control resulting in some serious wipe outs. The area where I ride is a little bit choppy which doesn't help the matter but I imagine that once I learn to reduce the speed, the chop wont be such a problem.

      I've watched boost several times and it isn't something that they go too far into. When I try and edge harder upwind I find it progressively harder and harder to hold the edge and I slide into an even worse wipe-out.

      On a somewhat different note: I have been going leashless on a 145 wake with sandals, but with all the crashing I'm tempted to use the leash again. I'm thinking that maybe not using a leash is more for when one gets better and goes for bigger tricks??

      Opinions on both topics are greatly appreciated,

      Thanks

      ian

    • Anton Potgieter
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3 12:48 AM
        Hi,

        I had a similar problem and took a while to get past it - maybe one of the
        pros out there can give the mechanics of what is happening, but basically,
        although at first it seems not logical, you have to edge HARDER, point the
        board more UPWIND, fly the kite LOWER, and just hang in ... sort of mind
        over matter until you get the hang of it. Depowering on the chicken loop
        also allows the kite to go further upwind. Don't try and fly the kite
        higher to bleed off power, it has the opposite effect, and ends up lifting
        you so you can't hold the edge properly ...

        Regards,
        Anton

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3 2:20 AM
          ian@... wrote:
          > My main problem being that as I get going I get faster and faster until everything just gets madly out of control resulting in some serious wipe outs. The area where I ride is a little bit choppy which doesn't help the matter but I imagine that once I learn to reduce the speed, the chop wont be such a problem.
          >
          > I've watched boost several times and it isn't something that they go too far into. When I try and edge harder upwind I find it progressively harder and harder to hold the edge and I slide into an even worse wipe-out.

          Sounds like you are in the going-too-fast and going-too-slow dilemma.

          When you are going too fast, the kite simply makes you going faster and
          faster until you fall.

          When you are going too slow, the kite simply yank you right out of your
          board.

          The trick is not to go with the pull of the kite nor to put the board
          perdendicular to the kite but slightly forward such that you have some
          forward moving force. Try to balance such condition with BOTH of your
          feet and not just with the front nor the back foot.

          Hung.
        • Philip
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3 5:38 AM
            Ian,

            I think we all know that feeling. I want to bail out, but I can get my
            body to do it.
            To get the kite flying more in front of you and control your speed you
            must be first be in control.
            Once critical speed is reached.... Well you know what happens..
            Its like the scene from Willy Wonka when the "rowers keep rowing and
            there are no signs of slowing,...."

            Try edging as hard as soon as you drop the kite into the power zone and
            point the board hard up wind.
            Ride in a super slow controlled manor keeping the board pointed up wind
            if the kite starts to pull hard and stars turning you down wind sit down
            and hold the edge and let the kite fly forward of you again.
            "rinse and repeat!"
            Keep doing this until you can ride comfortable very slowly controlling
            the speed so that you are just standing up and moving.

            Once you have this under control you can start to bare off slightly and
            allow the board to gain in speed.
            As soon as you pick up some speed keep that edge on! If you feel the
            "train a' coming" sit it down~! Regain control and start again.

            Keep doing this and you will learn a lot about power control using the
            edge.

            When over powered bring the kite low in the sky and drop that edge. It's
            a little counter intuitive to drop the kite lower but it allows you to
            get leverage on the kite.
            The pull will be intense as the kite flies toward the edge of the window
            but it will subside quickly if you keep that edge on.

            Philip

            Philip Mann
            Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
            http://www.inlandsea.com
            Kitesite.net
            http://www.kitesite.net
            toll free 888-465-2632

            > My main problem being that as I get going I get faster and faster
            > until everything just gets madly out of control resulting in some
            > serious wipe outs. The area where I ride is a little bit choppy which
            > doesn't help the matter but I imagine that once I learn to reduce the
            > speed, the chop wont be such a problem.
            >
            > I've watched boost several times and it isn't something that they go
            > too far into. When I try and edge harder upwind I find it
            > progressively harder and harder to hold the edge and I slide into an
            > even worse wipe-out.

            Sounds like you are in the going-too-fast and going-too-slow dilemma.

            When you are going too fast, the kite simply makes you going faster and
            faster until you fall.

            When you are going too slow, the kite simply yank you right out of your
            board.

            The trick is not to go with the pull of the kite nor to put the board
            perdendicular to the kite but slightly forward such that you have some
            forward moving force. Try to balance such condition with BOTH of your
            feet and not just with the front nor the back foot.

            Hung.

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • ian@gettingnervous.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3 8:18 AM
              Thanks a million for all of your replies...

              The general consensus ( thanks for the great tips Philip ) is to just keep
              on edging and edging and edging even if it feels like a bail out is more
              appropriate.

              Keep the kite low, ( even if this "feels" wrong ), keep an even distribution
              of weight on both feet, and edge high into the wind. If I am succesfull this
              will keep down the boardspeed and eventually allow me to gain more control
              about just how fast I want to go????

              cool, thanks.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3 11:36 AM
                Ian,

                Right on. As you start to feel over powered bring the kite low to the
                water and edge hard.

                Have fun

                Philip

                Philip Mann