Re: Swim-in or not?

  • callum_downie
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
      Kites like the wipi airblast, Airush Lift, Fone Mach1 all like to fly
      on the front lines, people will say they stall to more in lighter
      winds because they have too much backline tension on them - which
      does these kites no good! The best way to get power from kites like
      this is to let them fly fast off the front lines - thats how they
      produce their power in light winds, not from being over sheeted.

      With any of the new LEI's if there is a problem with stalling it's
      due to either incorrect setup - uneven lines or something. Or it is
      pilot error.
      Hope this helps...
      Callum

    • George Sarris
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
        Thanks guys. The fluctuating/light winds and my
        inexperience are probably what are causing my
        "Hindenburg" problems. I need more time out on the
        water in more consistent winds.

        George

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Philip
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
          George,

          I am jumping in on this so excuse me if this has been covered.
          If you are riding in light or gusty winds it certainly can cause the
          kite to drop out of the sky.
          One way to help avoid this is not flying the kite directly over head
          while you are getting ready to ride.
          If you fly the kite off to one side of the window the kite will be less
          "nose heavy" and is less likely to roll forward and drop out of the sky.
          It doesn't take a big angle in the kites orientation to stop it from
          dropping. just letting gravity hold one side of the kite for you!

          Let me know if you have more questions on this or any other topic.

          Good luck.

          Philip

          Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
          http://www.inlandsea.com
          Kitesite.net
          http://www.kitesite.net
          toll free 888-465-2632

> [...]

          > > > and the opened cell
          > > > foils, all other kites should be fine for
          > > > kitesurfing when it comes to
          > > > water relaunching (a few swims in hot weather
          > are
          > > > great - just watch out
          > > > for very cold water)...
          > > >
          > > > P.S., The higher numbers for Wipika Classics 5.0
          > and
          > > > 8.5 are probably
          > > > due mainly to my inexperience in the early days (therefore going
          > > > out in lighter winds and taking too long to relaunch
          > > > causing the bridle to
          > > > tangle)
          > > >
          > > > P.P.S., The lower numbers for closed cell foils
          > are
          > > > probably due to the
          > > > fact that I don't use them as frequent as
          > > > inflatables for kitesurfing.
          > > >
          > > > Hung.

          > > Yahoo! Greetings - send holiday greetings for

        • George Sarris
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2002
            Thanks Philip. That makes perfect sense. Most of
            the times my kite crashed was when it was directly
            overhead while I was getting into the board straps.

            Thanks Again,
            George

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Philip