Re: chicken loop adjustments.. was Swim-in or not?

  • Mike Soultanian
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hey John,
      I also have my bar set at full power at mid chicken because I could not
      get enough leverage when it was closer to my body. However, how do you
      ride in the hard loop because the kite will be in an oversheeted state,
      unless you pull some line in on the center cleat.

      I'm thinking about putting stopper so that the chicken loop won't travel
      all the way up to the bar when I'm in the hard loop...

      Do you ever ride in your hard loop?

      thanks,
      Mike

      John Matthews wrote:

> [...]
      > the magic board in waves from 3-6 ft with 2.5 thruster
      > set up. It's a twin tip with adam k's straps. Check
      > out his new site (aaboards.com)
      >
      > John
      >
      > George Sarris <jakefarley2000@...> wrote:
      > > Regarding this subject I have heard that Wipikas
      > > stall
      > > more than any other kite when the wind subsides. Has
      > > anyone heard this or have verified this through any
      > > testing results?
      > >
      > > Jake
      > > --- Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:
      > > > People frequently ask me how many times I had to
      > > > swim in with my kites
      > > > (due to not being able to relaunch them). Here
      > > are
      > > > some "approximated"
      > > > statistics:
      > > >
      > > > Wipika Classic 3.5: None
      > > > Wipika Classic 5.0: 1 or 2 times (wind dropped,
      > > > bridle tangled and
      > > > being inexperienced)
      > > > Wipika Classic 8.5: 1 or 2 times (wind dropped,
      > > > bridle tangled and
      > > > being inexperienced)
      > > > All of my opened cell foils (EX's 6.0, XXXL and
      > > EX's
      > > > 12.5): 50% each
      > > > time I crashed the kite (less with handles and
      > > more
      > > > with bars)
      > > > New Wave 4.9 (a closed cell foil): None
      > > > AR5 5.5: None
      > > > AR5 11.5: Twice. The first time was in very cold
      > > > water when I could not
      > > > swim fast enough to flip the kite over. The
      > > second
      > > > time was when I had
      > > > 2 center leader lines instead of 1.
      > > >
      > > > Some other kites that I used either briefly or for
      > > 1
      > > > or 2 days:
      > > >
      > > > ARC 630: Once (we were trying to figure out how to
      > > > relaunch the Arc; we
      > > > waited too long and the water got in the kite)
      > > > Jojo Rage 4.0, 6.0 (closed cell foils): None
      > > > C-Quads: Almost 100% of each time I crashed the
      > > kite
      > > >
      > > > For all practical purposes, except for the C-Quads
      > > > and the opened cell
      > > > foils, all other kites should be fine for
      > > > kitesurfing when it comes to
      > > > water relaunching (a few swims in hot weather are
      > > > great - just watch out
      > > > for very cold water)...
      > > >
      > > > P.S., The higher numbers for Wipika Classics 5.0
      > > and
      > > > 8.5 are probably
      > > > due mainly to my inexperience in the early days
      > > > (therefore going out in
      > > > lighter winds and taking too long to relaunch
      > > > causing the bridle to
      > > > tangle)
      > > >
      > > > P.P.S., The lower numbers for closed cell foils
      > > are
      > > > probably due to the
      > > > fact that I don't use them as frequent as
      > > > inflatables for kitesurfing.
      > > >
      > > > Hung.

      > > Yahoo! Greetings - send holiday greetings for

      [...]
    • John Matthews
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
        Mike,
        My harness line is equall to the the distance to
        mid chicken. I had to purchase an adjustable dakine
        harness line in order to accomodate the longer length.
        You may also lengthen you Wipika harness line and add
        a new tube over the rope. I rarly use the harness
        line mainly because the full force of a gust hitting
        all four lines tends to tweak my back after a while.
        Hope this helps.
        John
        PS I'm a florida transplant from Vero Beach and a Grad
        of FSU. I've been on Maui for ten years now.

        http://greetings.yahoo.com/