Re: [ksurfschool] Swim-in or not?

  • John Matthews
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
      ---
      Hi guy's/gals,

      I've been riding Wipika's for the better part of
      three years now and swear by there product. I live in
      the backyard of Naish, Cabrina, and now Airrush and
      have found Wipika to be of equal or better in some
      conditions. I primarily ride waves and am partial to
      the '01 airblasts on 15's and 20's. In regards to the
      stalling....overflying has been my only problem.
      Primarily when I penjulium under my kite after
      attempting new tricks. Depending on how you modify
      your bar stalling can be your best friend. I have my
      bar set on full power at mid chicken. Pulling all the
      way to my harness causes the kite to stall and slow me
      down when bottom turning. Some call it stalling and
      some call it over sheeting. Hope this helps.

      Just received a Alex Aguera convertible 147 and it is
      the magic board in waves from 3-6 ft with 2.5 thruster
      set up. It's a twin tip with adam k's straps. Check
      out his new site (aaboards.com)

      John

      =====

      http://greetings.yahoo.com/
    • callum_downie
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
        Kites like the wipi airblast, Airush Lift, Fone Mach1 all like to fly
        on the front lines, people will say they stall to more in lighter
        winds because they have too much backline tension on them - which
        does these kites no good! The best way to get power from kites like
        this is to let them fly fast off the front lines - thats how they
        produce their power in light winds, not from being over sheeted.

        With any of the new LEI's if there is a problem with stalling it's
        due to either incorrect setup - uneven lines or something. Or it is
        pilot error.
        Hope this helps...
        Callum

      • George Sarris
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
          Thanks guys. The fluctuating/light winds and my
          inexperience are probably what are causing my
          "Hindenburg" problems. I need more time out on the
          water in more consistent winds.

          George

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • Philip
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
            George,

            I am jumping in on this so excuse me if this has been covered.
            If you are riding in light or gusty winds it certainly can cause the
            kite to drop out of the sky.
            One way to help avoid this is not flying the kite directly over head
            while you are getting ready to ride.
            If you fly the kite off to one side of the window the kite will be less
            "nose heavy" and is less likely to roll forward and drop out of the sky.
            It doesn't take a big angle in the kites orientation to stop it from
            dropping. just letting gravity hold one side of the kite for you!

            Let me know if you have more questions on this or any other topic.

            Good luck.

            Philip

            Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
            http://www.inlandsea.com
            Kitesite.net
            http://www.kitesite.net
            toll free 888-465-2632

> [...]

            > > > and the opened cell
            > > > foils, all other kites should be fine for
            > > > kitesurfing when it comes to
            > > > water relaunching (a few swims in hot weather
            > are
            > > > great - just watch out
            > > > for very cold water)...
            > > >
            > > > P.S., The higher numbers for Wipika Classics 5.0
            > and
            > > > 8.5 are probably
            > > > due mainly to my inexperience in the early days (therefore going
            > > > out in lighter winds and taking too long to relaunch
            > > > causing the bridle to
            > > > tangle)
            > > >
            > > > P.P.S., The lower numbers for closed cell foils
            > are
            > > > probably due to the
            > > > fact that I don't use them as frequent as
            > > > inflatables for kitesurfing.
            > > >
            > > > Hung.

            > > Yahoo! Greetings - send holiday greetings for

          • George Sarris
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2002
              Thanks Philip. That makes perfect sense. Most of
              the times my kite crashed was when it was directly
              overhead while I was getting into the board straps.

              Thanks Again,
              George

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • Philip