Swim-in or not?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
      People frequently ask me how many times I had to swim in with my kites
      (due to not being able to relaunch them). Here are some "approximated"
      statistics:

      Wipika Classic 3.5: None
      Wipika Classic 5.0: 1 or 2 times (wind dropped, bridle tangled and
      being inexperienced)
      Wipika Classic 8.5: 1 or 2 times (wind dropped, bridle tangled and
      being inexperienced)
      All of my opened cell foils (EX's 6.0, XXXL and EX's 12.5): 50% each
      time I crashed the kite (less with handles and more with bars)
      New Wave 4.9 (a closed cell foil): None
      AR5 5.5: None
      AR5 11.5: Twice. The first time was in very cold water when I could not
      swim fast enough to flip the kite over. The second time was when I had
      2 center leader lines instead of 1.

      Some other kites that I used either briefly or for 1 or 2 days:

      ARC 630: Once (we were trying to figure out how to relaunch the Arc; we
      waited too long and the water got in the kite)
      Jojo Rage 4.0, 6.0 (closed cell foils): None
      C-Quads: Almost 100% of each time I crashed the kite

      For all practical purposes, except for the C-Quads and the opened cell
      foils, all other kites should be fine for kitesurfing when it comes to
      water relaunching (a few swims in hot weather are great - just watch out
      for very cold water)...

      P.S., The higher numbers for Wipika Classics 5.0 and 8.5 are probably
      due mainly to my inexperience in the early days (therefore going out in
      lighter winds and taking too long to relaunch causing the bridle to
      tangle)

      P.P.S., The lower numbers for closed cell foils are probably due to the
      fact that I don't use them as frequent as inflatables for kitesurfing.

      Hung.
    • George Sarris
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
        Regarding this subject I have heard that Wipikas stall
        more than any other kite when the wind subsides. Has
        anyone heard this or have verified this through any
        testing results?

        Jake

        http://greetings.yahoo.com/
      • John Matthews
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
          ---
          Hi guy's/gals,

          I've been riding Wipika's for the better part of
          three years now and swear by there product. I live in
          the backyard of Naish, Cabrina, and now Airrush and
          have found Wipika to be of equal or better in some
          conditions. I primarily ride waves and am partial to
          the '01 airblasts on 15's and 20's. In regards to the
          stalling....overflying has been my only problem.
          Primarily when I penjulium under my kite after
          attempting new tricks. Depending on how you modify
          your bar stalling can be your best friend. I have my
          bar set on full power at mid chicken. Pulling all the
          way to my harness causes the kite to stall and slow me
          down when bottom turning. Some call it stalling and
          some call it over sheeting. Hope this helps.

          Just received a Alex Aguera convertible 147 and it is
          the magic board in waves from 3-6 ft with 2.5 thruster
          set up. It's a twin tip with adam k's straps. Check
          out his new site (aaboards.com)

          John

          =====

          http://greetings.yahoo.com/
        • callum_downie
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
            Kites like the wipi airblast, Airush Lift, Fone Mach1 all like to fly
            on the front lines, people will say they stall to more in lighter
            winds because they have too much backline tension on them - which
            does these kites no good! The best way to get power from kites like
            this is to let them fly fast off the front lines - thats how they
            produce their power in light winds, not from being over sheeted.

            With any of the new LEI's if there is a problem with stalling it's
            due to either incorrect setup - uneven lines or something. Or it is
            pilot error.
            Hope this helps...
            Callum

          • George Sarris
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
              Thanks guys. The fluctuating/light winds and my
              inexperience are probably what are causing my
              "Hindenburg" problems. I need more time out on the
              water in more consistent winds.

              George

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • Philip
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
                George,

                I am jumping in on this so excuse me if this has been covered.
                If you are riding in light or gusty winds it certainly can cause the
                kite to drop out of the sky.
                One way to help avoid this is not flying the kite directly over head
                while you are getting ready to ride.
                If you fly the kite off to one side of the window the kite will be less
                "nose heavy" and is less likely to roll forward and drop out of the sky.
                It doesn't take a big angle in the kites orientation to stop it from
                dropping. just letting gravity hold one side of the kite for you!

                Let me know if you have more questions on this or any other topic.

                Good luck.

                Philip

                Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
                http://www.inlandsea.com
                Kitesite.net
                http://www.kitesite.net
                toll free 888-465-2632

> [...]

                > > > and the opened cell
                > > > foils, all other kites should be fine for
                > > > kitesurfing when it comes to
                > > > water relaunching (a few swims in hot weather
                > are
                > > > great - just watch out
                > > > for very cold water)...
                > > >
                > > > P.S., The higher numbers for Wipika Classics 5.0
                > and
                > > > 8.5 are probably
                > > > due mainly to my inexperience in the early days (therefore going
                > > > out in lighter winds and taking too long to relaunch
                > > > causing the bridle to
                > > > tangle)
                > > >
                > > > P.P.S., The lower numbers for closed cell foils
                > are
                > > > probably due to the
                > > > fact that I don't use them as frequent as
                > > > inflatables for kitesurfing.
                > > >
                > > > Hung.

                > > Yahoo! Greetings - send holiday greetings for

              • George Sarris
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4, 2002
                  Thanks Philip. That makes perfect sense. Most of
                  the times my kite crashed was when it was directly
                  overhead while I was getting into the board straps.

                  Thanks Again,
                  George

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                • Philip