Re: Water relaunch inflatable

  • cfglazier
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2002
      Luke
      Let me add to Philips advice. You can speed up the process after you
      see which way the kite is going by swimming to the opposite side.
      Just a few swim strokes really helps. Be sure to keep the kite on
      its side.
      Chris G

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 9:56 AM
        skywalker66au wrote:
        > I can get the kite (Wipika Hydro 11) on its back ok by pulling on the
        > back lines and letting go. But I haven't worked out what to do next
        > to get the kite to traverse to the edge of the window. It seems the
        > kite decides which side it wants to go to. It sometimes takes me a
        > while to finesse it to move from dead downwind, is there a special
        > technique to get things happening faster?

        This is a very good question. Water relaunching an inflatable should
        need more explanation.

        After an inflatable is flipped over on its back, there are 3 phases to a
        successful relaunch: the catch-the-wind phase, the
        sliding-to-the-window-edge phase and the launching phase.

        The catch-the-wind phase is the least understood. Once an inflatable is
        on its back, somehow a tip/part of the kite has to catch the wind to
        generate force to turn the kite into a vertical C shape. If one does
        nothing, the kite either continues to stay on its back or in some
        fortunate situations, the dynamic of the gust and the water can somehow
        let it catch-the-wind to get into a vertical C position. The best way
        to let the kite catch the wind is to pull slightly on one of the tip
        depending on the position of the kite. If the kite is more to your
        right, pull slightly on the left tip, if the kite is on your left pull
        slightly on the right tip (the left/right designation is the same as
        your bar: pull left end of the bar -> pull the left tip). If the kite
        is straight down wind, you can alternatively pull the right or left tip
        until one of the tip catch-the-wind - the other alternative is to swim
        to one side and then pull slightly on the same tip (swim right and then
        pull slightly the right tip).

        The transition between the catch-the-wind phase and the
        slide-to-the-window-edge phase is also the least understood. Once the
        kite has catch-the-wind, one has to immediately release the top tip and
        pull on the bottom tip. This action will allow the top tip to catch
        more power, allowing it to lift the kite into a vertical C, fully on top
        of the water and slide to the edge of the wind window. Failure to
        release the top tip soon enough will collapse the kite and it will
        likely get into a folding-top-tip position or leading-edge-down
        position.

        The launching phase is simple, once the vertical C is near the wind
        window edge, simply pull on the top tip of the kite to launch it
        skyward. In strong wind, one can launch a higher AR inflatable mid-way
        between the edge of the wind window and straight down wind.

        Hung.
      • marko92109
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 1:07 PM
          Hi hung,

          there is a very easy trick to it that nobody seems to know.

          Here is how I do it:

          Once the kite is on its side I hook into the chickenloop
          and let go of the bar. Now the wind does the rest for me
          I just wait till the Kite is on the edge of the window
          and launch it.

          This trick works the better the more wind you have to work with,
          but I managed to relaunch a 21.5 ARX in 8 mph using this technique.

          Thanks

          Marko