Kitesurfers Rule ... Windsurfers Drool

  • fernmanus
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2002
      I had one of those days where those out kitesuring ruled and the
      windsurfers, well they slogged a bit and stood around on shore.

      Before all of you windsurfers flame my backside. Let me say, that
      when the winds are high and the swell is big, windsurfing is king.
      However, for light wind, kite surfing comes out on top.

      It was my first session on the water. I arrived at my favorite local
      lake to find the wind blowing around 15 - 20. I rigged a Wipika 11.8
      AB and cruised around getting some nice airs in the gusts while the
      windsurfers slogged and burned in the gusty wind. After a couple
      hours the wind died down to 8 - 10 with 12 mph gusts. None of the
      windsurfers had big enough sails and boards to deal. I went our on
      my Wipika 16.4 AB. It was cool because the water had barely a
      ripple, yet I was able to stay upwind and launch 50 foot jumps (far
      not high). I was only 5 - 10 feet off the water, but you glide a
      long distance with that size of kite. You could see exactly where I
      took off and landed for several minutes on the waters surface. The
      windsurfers just stood around and stared. They couldn't believe I
      was ripping around in that light air. When I got back on shore a lot
      of them were talking about taking up kiting.