Re: How do you get into the shackle?

  • kiteshredder
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2002
      --- In ksurfschool@y..., Andre Myburgh <andrem@c...> wrote:
      > > I've got about five part numbers...saw a number of ways they
      > > were attached to bars in Cabarete...but never saw one hooked
      > > up in action.
      >
      > Snap Shackle - http://www.wichard-
      usa.com/Catalog/HR_Snap_Shackles.htm - Go
      > for the 2673 Swivel Eye model
      >
      > Some others don't release when attached directly to a soft chicken
      loop.
      > Test it under load (preferably your full weight+), before
      attaching yourself
      > to any shackle & kite.

      I just bought the 2653 trigger model. Haven't tried it yet. It's
      good too?
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 26, 2002
        Andre Myburgh <andrem@...> wrote:

        > Test it under load (preferably your full weight+)

        You can get a more realistic (higher) test load by tying it to a plank, with
        the line length such that while standing on the plank you only need to bend
        your knees slightly to connect it to the harness. Hook it up, stand on the
        plank, try to break the setup by straightening your legs as hard as
        possible, & then test the release. Make sure you have sufficient headroom
        for the subsequent "jump"!

        Mel
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26, 2002
          kiteshredder <kiteshredder@...> wrote:

          > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Andre Myburgh <andrem@c...> wrote:
          > > Snap Shackle - http://www.wichard-
          > usa.com/Catalog/HR_Snap_Shackles.htm - Go
          > > for the 2673 Swivel Eye model
          > >

          > I just bought the 2653 trigger model. Haven't tried it yet. It's
          > good too?

          Yes. I recommend setting it up like the needlessly higher priced Tylaska
          T-8 pictured at www.NorthShoreInc.com

          Mel
        • Mel
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 27, 2002
            I forgot to remind you to also try to MAKE the loop catch on the OPEN
            shackle, because even if it releases cleanly while testing under load, if
            you can make it catch, there's a chance it could catch on the water, when
            you least want it to.