Heel straps or not?

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2002
      I perfer using heel straps with a bidirectional board.

      Some uses only foot strap with a bidirectional board. Is it only for
      the "one-or-no-foot-in-strap-trick" or for any other reasons?

      P.S., Full binding is overkill in kitesurfing/kitesnowboarding (I
      normally tighten up my binding snowboarding but have it VERY LOOSE
      kitesnowboarding).

      Hung.
    • Pauric
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2002
        Full binding is not only 'overkill' its potentially dangerous...

        The weather has picked up here in the UK and I've been out testing the equipment I've been making over the winter. I had a full binding system on my all terrain board, that quickly went because of difficult getting out, but! that wasnt the end of the problems. I have skateboard grip tape in the footwell of the bindings which are a similar design to sandal bindings. At one point when riding switch (facing upwind) a gust quickly snapped my upper body around but the board stayed put - the end effect is a twisted knee because I couldnt get my feet out quick enough. In theory my feet should have just slid out but the friction from the grip tape stopped this. It would have been much worse with my original full binding.

        Everything is made worse if you get one foot out I noticed. Your body is able to turn more, there is twice the pressure on the 'stuck' foot, twice as hard to get out etc etc then SNAP ouch!

        I imagine this to be less likely on a snowboard because there is less weight to kick around, however I can very easily see this problem by catching a toe edge and landing on your front with the kite twisting your body up and around, there is no way I would be able to turn the board with my body.

        Its really important to be able to get your feet out of whatever your riding on land because boards dont flip around as easily.

        May I ask if these posts are really off topic? I'm not an expert at kitesurfing (if that werent completely obvious!!) but I have lots of experience of traction foils and board riding on land - tell me to shut up if I'm wasting peoples bandwidth!

        cheers

        26 March 2002 07:59
        To: kitesurf@egroups.com, ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
        cc: