How to make two lines equal lenght

  • Eduardo ALDAZ CARROLL
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2000
      Hi

      I'd like to get my two brake lines to be exactly the same length, but
      i'm not too sure which is the easiest way to do this. The lines are 80kg
      dynema lines so when you pull they stretch quite a bit, which makes it a
      bit tricky when comparing lenght ...

      Anyone has suggestions?

      Thanks

      Eduardo

      Eduardo Aldaz Carroll, tel: +41 22 7679153
      CERN, PS Division fax: +41 22 7678510
      CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland.
    • Mark Frasier
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2000
        At 02:30 PM 07/04/2000 +0200, Eduardo ALDAZ CARROLL wrote:
        >Hi
        >
        >I'd like to get my two brake lines to be exactly the same length, but
        >i'm not too sure which is the easiest way to do this. The lines are 80kg
        >dynema lines so when you pull they stretch quite a bit, which makes it a
        >bit tricky when comparing lenght ...
        >
        >Anyone has suggestions?
        >
        >Thanks
        >
        >Eduardo

        Moran used to sell a line equalizer for stunt kite lines. It looks like a
        small balance. You could ask for one at a good kite shop, or you could make
        something similar. Get a sturdy piece of wood or PVC pipe about 15 cm long.
        Find the exact center and drill a hole through that spot. Run a piece of
        cord through the hole and tie it so it won't come out. Drill a hole through
        each end and run a leader line from each of those holes. Tie a knot exactly
        the same distance on each leader so you can larkshead one brake line to
        each leader. Now drive a stake in the ground and attach the other ends of
        both brake lines onto that one stake. Pull on the cord in the center of
        your wod or pipe and it should be easy to see which line is longer.

        I've posted a simple sketch of my idea at:
        http://www.egroups.com/files/ksurfschool/equalizer.gif

        I haven't made one but it should work similarly to the Moran equalizer.

        Mark Frasier