Re: You should be here...Cabarete.

  • cfglazier
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 13, 2002
      Jim
      Thanks for the report. It reminds me of when I was there a month
      ago. Cabarete has to be one of the best places for a winter
      kitesurfing vacation. There are direct flights to there from here in
      Canada and from Europe.
      It sounds like you are sitting in one of those little internet cafes
      using those old computers like I did. Have fun Jim
      Chris G

      PS. The Kitexcite hotel is right on kitebeach ..basic but fine.

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "ex_cpe" <jim@w...> wrote:
      > This is my first full day as I got here about 4pm Tues/12th. It
      was
      > blowing a gale - for me. It may have been 20kts slightly onshore
      > from the East. Yesterday there were 23 kites at one time - today
      > that was better by 12! Fricking-A lotta people out.
      >
      > BUT - forget your foils, ARCS...even 2-liners are for teaching.
      TT's
      > rule with only a couple of small wakes and one directional.
      >
      > I brought a 12M North - too big. Nothing over 9 today was up.
      Good
      > news for Free Airs (11's were out) and R3's - they both did very
      well
      > with all the new Takoons, AirRush Lifts, F-Ones but mostly Naish
      and
      > Wiki's 4-liners. The reputed designer of F-One is supposed to be
      > here...the German kite magazine had a full load of new gear
      they're
      > testing. Not everybody is 19 either.
      >
      > Your second language better include French,Dutch and German. I
      hooked
      > up with a kite school run by a Dutch fellow named Jordy. The first
      > one I went to the fellow said Bon Jour to me about five times.
      After
      > the third one - I figured communication would be a problem.
      >
      > Everybody is very friendly - experts and beginners alike.
      Everybody
      > catches and launches. Nobody stays in trouble long.
      >
      > I'm beginning to feel that I better come back an expert. There's
      > 90lb women learning here in a full blow. They get spanked and
      walk
      > back upwind for more. The few people pointed out who had three
      days
      > of time were standing fine. They did't get upwind, but you don't
      > have to here. No shame in a walk back.
      >
      > The amazing thing: in two afternoons of this blow - only one
      > crossup. Two very good guys wrapped. There's a crew of 'beach
      boys'
      > who spot trouble and are there to help in no time. Another: the
      > learners start way upwind and drag, stumble and fall downwind, but
      > even the guys who have to spray the sand seem to avoid them. It's
      > not surfing where you get chased off any decent peak.
      >
      > My only major mistake - so far - was to pick the wrong place. I'm
      in
      > close to town. The Caracol Hotel. It's a really nice place but
      too
      > far from the action. I'm moving up toward the kite point. I'll
      let
      > youall know.
      >
      > BTW: I made a padded, 16x16"x5' bag for board and kites (leave the
      CA
      > home - they don't even want to teach it). It's about 60lbs. and
      > American Airlines didn't even ask. I had another bag 6"x2'x4' for
      > the other board I brought. See:
      wetstuff.com/kite/roket_promo.html

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13, 2002
        Some little trivia for those who like Carabete and Dominican Republic...

        The first three kitesurfers who ever kitesurfed at Carabete are Terry
        (Jan 1998 - the owner of Foto Planet at Carabete and Sosua), Jan Pina &
        Hung (Dec 1998)...

        There is another excellent spot for kitesurfing on the southern coast of
        Dominican Republic called Salina (1.5 hour drive from Santo Domingo) and
        the first 3 kitesurfers who ever kitesurfed there are Jan Pina & Antonio
        Esteban (July 1998), Hung (Dec 1998)...

        The photo of these guys can be found at
        http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/gallery.htm

        Hung.

        cfglazier wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > My only major mistake - so far - was to pick the wrong place. I'm
        > in
        > > close to town. The Caracol Hotel. It's a really nice place but
        > too
        > > far from the action. I'm moving up toward the kite point. I'll
        > let
        > > youall know.
        > >
        > > BTW: I made a padded, 16x16"x5' bag for board and kites (leave the
        > CA
        > > home - they don't even want to teach it). It's about 60lbs. and
        > > American Airlines didn't even ask. I had another bag 6"x2'x4' for
        > > the other board I brought. See:
        > wetstuff.com/kite/roket_promo.html
        > > and they didn't ask about it either.
        > >
        > > BTW: Try this - I'm a MAC person and this damn thing is a PC in
        > > Spanish. How come eveytime I click the button I get a menu?!
        > >
        > > Anyway, I hope you get to come down and enjoy this some day.

      • Alex Tien Do
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 29, 2002
          Any instructors in Orange county?
          Please help
          Alex

          cfglazier wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > My only major mistake - so far - was to pick the wrong place. I'm
          > in
          > > close to town. The Caracol Hotel. It's a really nice place but
          > too
          > > far from the action. I'm moving up toward the kite point. I'll
          > let
          > > youall know.
          > >
          > > BTW: I made a padded, 16x16"x5' bag for board and kites (leave the
          > CA
          > > home - they don't even want to teach it). It's about 60lbs. and
          > > American Airlines didn't even ask. I had another bag 6"x2'x4' for
          > > the other board I brought. See:
          > wetstuff.com/kite/roket_promo.html
          > > and they didn't ask about it either.
          > >
          > > BTW: Try this - I'm a MAC person and this damn thing is a PC in
          > > Spanish. How come eveytime I click the button I get a menu?!
          > >
          > > Anyway, I hope you get to come down and enjoy this some day.

        • Alex Tien Do
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 29, 2002
            any instructor for Orange County

            Please