You should be here...Cabarete.

  • ex_cpe
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 13, 2002
      This is my first full day as I got here about 4pm Tues/12th. It was
      blowing a gale - for me. It may have been 20kts slightly onshore
      from the East. Yesterday there were 23 kites at one time - today
      that was better by 12! Fricking-A lotta people out.

      BUT - forget your foils, ARCS...even 2-liners are for teaching. TT's
      rule with only a couple of small wakes and one directional.

      I brought a 12M North - too big. Nothing over 9 today was up. Good
      news for Free Airs (11's were out) and R3's - they both did very well
      with all the new Takoons, AirRush Lifts, F-Ones but mostly Naish and
      Wiki's 4-liners. The reputed designer of F-One is supposed to be
      here...the German kite magazine had a full load of new gear they're
      testing. Not everybody is 19 either.

      Your second language better include French,Dutch and German. I hooked
      up with a kite school run by a Dutch fellow named Jordy. The first
      one I went to the fellow said Bon Jour to me about five times. After
      the third one - I figured communication would be a problem.

      Everybody is very friendly - experts and beginners alike. Everybody
      catches and launches. Nobody stays in trouble long.

      I'm beginning to feel that I better come back an expert. There's
      90lb women learning here in a full blow. They get spanked and walk
      back upwind for more. The few people pointed out who had three days
      of time were standing fine. They did't get upwind, but you don't
      have to here. No shame in a walk back.

      The amazing thing: in two afternoons of this blow - only one
      crossup. Two very good guys wrapped. There's a crew of 'beach boys'
      who spot trouble and are there to help in no time. Another: the
      learners start way upwind and drag, stumble and fall downwind, but
      even the guys who have to spray the sand seem to avoid them. It's
      not surfing where you get chased off any decent peak.

      My only major mistake - so far - was to pick the wrong place. I'm in
      close to town. The Caracol Hotel. It's a really nice place but too
      far from the action. I'm moving up toward the kite point. I'll let
      youall know.

      BTW: I made a padded, 16x16"x5' bag for board and kites (leave the CA
      home - they don't even want to teach it). It's about 60lbs. and
      American Airlines didn't even ask. I had another bag 6"x2'x4' for
      the other board I brought. See: wetstuff.com/kite/roket_promo.html
      and they didn't ask about it either.

      BTW: Try this - I'm a MAC person and this damn thing is a PC in
      Spanish. How come eveytime I click the button I get a menu?!

      Anyway, I hope you get to come down and enjoy this some day.
      (Secret: it's damn cheap!)

      Buena suerte

      Jim
    • cfglazier
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13, 2002
        Jim
        Thanks for the report. It reminds me of when I was there a month
        ago. Cabarete has to be one of the best places for a winter
        kitesurfing vacation. There are direct flights to there from here in
        Canada and from Europe.
        It sounds like you are sitting in one of those little internet cafes
        using those old computers like I did. Have fun Jim
        Chris G

        PS. The Kitexcite hotel is right on kitebeach ..basic but fine.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2002
          Some little trivia for those who like Carabete and Dominican Republic...

          The first three kitesurfers who ever kitesurfed at Carabete are Terry
          (Jan 1998 - the owner of Foto Planet at Carabete and Sosua), Jan Pina &
          Hung (Dec 1998)...

          There is another excellent spot for kitesurfing on the southern coast of
          Dominican Republic called Salina (1.5 hour drive from Santo Domingo) and
          the first 3 kitesurfers who ever kitesurfed there are Jan Pina & Antonio
          Esteban (July 1998), Hung (Dec 1998)...

          The photo of these guys can be found at
          http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/gallery.htm

          Hung.

          cfglazier wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > My only major mistake - so far - was to pick the wrong place. I'm
          > in
          > > close to town. The Caracol Hotel. It's a really nice place but
          > too
          > > far from the action. I'm moving up toward the kite point. I'll
          > let
          > > youall know.
          > >
          > > BTW: I made a padded, 16x16"x5' bag for board and kites (leave the
          > CA
          > > home - they don't even want to teach it). It's about 60lbs. and
          > > American Airlines didn't even ask. I had another bag 6"x2'x4' for
          > > the other board I brought. See:
          > wetstuff.com/kite/roket_promo.html
          > > and they didn't ask about it either.
          > >
          > > BTW: Try this - I'm a MAC person and this damn thing is a PC in
          > > Spanish. How come eveytime I click the button I get a menu?!
          > >
          > > Anyway, I hope you get to come down and enjoy this some day.

        • Alex Tien Do
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 29, 2002
            Any instructors in Orange county?
            Please help
            Alex

            cfglazier wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > My only major mistake - so far - was to pick the wrong place. I'm
            > in
            > > close to town. The Caracol Hotel. It's a really nice place but
            > too
            > > far from the action. I'm moving up toward the kite point. I'll
            > let
            > > youall know.
            > >
            > > BTW: I made a padded, 16x16"x5' bag for board and kites (leave the
            > CA
            > > home - they don't even want to teach it). It's about 60lbs. and
            > > American Airlines didn't even ask. I had another bag 6"x2'x4' for
            > > the other board I brought. See:
            > wetstuff.com/kite/roket_promo.html
            > > and they didn't ask about it either.
            > >
            > > BTW: Try this - I'm a MAC person and this damn thing is a PC in
            > > Spanish. How come eveytime I click the button I get a menu?!
            > >
            > > Anyway, I hope you get to come down and enjoy this some day.

          • Alex Tien Do
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 29, 2002
              any instructor for Orange County

              Please