Re: To chicken loop or not?

  • callum_downie
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 12 8:42 PM
      Harder than a normal loop without the extra tubing, and a normal loop
      is close to imposible if you have enough power to dangerously loft
      you.

      Wipika now make these loops with a release mechanism where the loop
      joins the center rope to allow you to easily release, I am unsure of
      how reliably these release.

      Callum

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Pauric" <paurico@p...> wrote:
      > I've seen some 2001 airblast main loops with a flexible plastic
      pipe. The pipe extends past the loop by an inch or so and fits *in*
      to the speader hook after the loop goes on. This stops the loop
      droping off and is relatively easy to remove under normal conditions

      > What are people's experience of this, how hard is to to release
      under pressure?

      > thanks
      >
      > To: ksurfschool@y...
      > cc:
      > Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] Re: To chicken loop or not?
      >
      > Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
      >
      > > I think Mel start to see the "light"...
      > > It's the LOOP that is dangerous and should be banned unless
      > > they shipped
      > > a snap shackle loop as the standard device.
      >
      > Actually Hung, I "saw the light" a couple of years ago after about
      the third
      > time I used a 4-line sled, & have been an anti-loop snapshackle
      advocate
      > ever since.
      >
      > AND airdoodle <matthew.hockin@h...> wrote:
      >
      > > Any suggestions about waiting for the prolimit v.s. buying a snap
      > > shackle today?
      >
      > 1) Don't risk your life for the next few weeks (I just heard it
      will be
      > mid-to-late April before they're here), just in case they end up
      working
      > better (making you feel like you "wasted" $60, just to save a trip
      to the
      > emergency room).
      >
      > 2) An advantage to the snapshackle is that it keeps you hooked in
      when a
      > loop may fall off a hook (releasable or otherwise) when you don't
      want it
      > to. Advantages of the ProLimit include the ability to unhook from a
      trim
      > loop when you DO want to, as well as the ability to release from a
      main
      > harness line.
      >
      > On the snapshackle itself, www.westmarine.com # 214700 is a
      Wichard "trigger