Re: [ksurfschool] starboard .vs. port

  • Pauric
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2002
      Hi Hung, in my experience snowboarding and kite-land-boarding (or whatever its called on an all terrian board) I have found myself shifting away from being a true regular (left foot forward/port side) to being a little more ambidexterous. I put this down to a number of factors;

      Generally speaking your stronger leg determines your stance. A little trick to find out a novices stance is to get them to walk at a set of stairs. Which ever leg makes the first step is your front leg, so goofies hit the step with their right leg first, regulars leave their right leg ground level (this is a general rule and has exceptions). From an early age we develop these preferences which normally stay with us.

      However, as kitesurfing requires equal use of both legs you will eventually build up enough muscle and motor control on your weaker leg to equate it with your other leg. The fact that you've effectively swtiched your stance from goofy to regular would say to me that you have overdeveloped you motor control on what was your weaker leg. As you've learn new manouvers, have you gone out of your way to push your weaker side? If you've learned something new on your weaker leg then the sequence of muscle controls sticks with that leg.

      Again, I'm not a kitesurfing expert and its a while since I've done any brain surgery (legally anyway) so if I'm talking codshyte, someone please put me right

      cheers

      To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
      cc:
      Subject: [ksurfschool] starboard .vs. port

      When I windsurf, I prefer starboard side (right shoulder goes first).

      In the first 2 years of kitesurfing, I preferred starboard side (and
      probably still the case with a directional board) for both cruising and
      jumping.

      Now I start to prefer port side for kitesurfing/kitesnowboarding,
      especially with a bi-directional board or snowboard (BTW, port side is
      normal footing for me).

      Why???