Foil .vs. inflatable safety leashes!

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2002
      Having used both foils and inflatable safety leashes, my experience
      seems to indicate that inflatable safety leashes are safer.

      Foil safety leashes are attached to the center line and I had 2
      occasions that the safety leash tangle with 1 end of the bar send the
      kite spinning with tremendous power.

      Inflatable safety leashes are mostly attached to 1 line at the end of
      the bar and so far I never has the leash tangle with the bar at all.

      P.S., This does not mean that the safety leashes on foil are not safe,
      just make sure that they are NOT TANGLE with the bar.

      P.P.S., Inflatable safety leashes that attach to the center lines
      instead of a line at the end of the bar may have the same issue as foil
      safety leashes.

      Hung.
    • Pauric
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2002
        Hi Hung, why do foil safetly leashes attach to the centre line? I can see that deflating the kite more rapidly than attaching it to one of the main lines but as you point it - it can tangle.

        I've never flown a waterfoil and therefore never dropped one

        cheers in advance

        To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
        cc:
        Subject: [ksurfschool] Foil .vs. inflatable safety leashes!

        Having used both foils and inflatable safety leashes, my experience
        seems to indicate that inflatable safety leashes are safer.

        Foil safety leashes are attached to the center line and I had 2
        occasions that the safety leash tangle with 1 end of the bar send the
        kite spinning with tremendous power.

        Inflatable safety leashes are mostly attached to 1 line at the end of
        the bar and so far I never has the leash tangle with the bar at all.

        P.S., This does not mean that the safety leashes on foil are not safe,
        just make sure that they are NOT TANGLE with the bar.

        P.P.S., Inflatable safety leashes that attach to the center lines
        instead of a line at the end of the bar may have the same issue as foil
        safety leashes.

      • reystos
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2002
          Hi Pauric,

          The centre line in foils is used for brakes. But that is the other
          way around in inflatables. An inflatable is usually steered by the
          brakes, which are attached to the ends of the bar and the main lines
          in the middle.
          Safety leashes are ALWAYS attached to the brakes because pulling hard
          one of the main lines will only cause the kite to spin and you to
          totally loose control.
          However, lines CAN and DO tangle, brakelines included! If the
          brakelines tangle the sort of kite you'll be flying won't matter
          much...

          Just my recent experience with my foil,
          Stelios

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13, 2002
            Pauric,

            Most foils have the 2 main lines connected to the ends of the bar and
            the brake lines connected to a single center line. Due to the bridle, a
            main line of a foil always powers up even thought you release all other
            lines. So in this configuration, the only way to connect the safety
            leash is to the center line.

            You can also connect the brake lines to both end of the bar and the main
            lines to the center. In this case you can have the safety leash connect
            to only 1 brake line and avoid tangling; however, when you drop the bar,
            the kite likely to twist slightly and will not land smoothly. Most
            people connect the safety leash to both brake lines in this case (even
            more chance to tangle than the previous case).

            Amazingly, I have a somewhat more complex safety leash attached to the
            tail ends of my handles and so far they have never tangled (YET).

            Hung.