Re: [ksurfschool] Re: To chicken loop or not?

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 7, 2002
      airdoodle wrote:
      > Unless you mean that when in the chicken loop and overpowered
      > (hopefully not often, but as you say it happens)that you are in more
      > trouble due to the bar being pulled away from you and its harder to
      > control/handle? Is this what happens? I have not had this happen in
      > the chicken loop yet, plenty of times in the main loop.

      When you are in the chicken loop and overpowered (the wind is at or
      above the max range of the kite), there is NO WAY to remove yourself
      from the loop.

      > How is the chicken loop any different in this respect from the main
      > or fixed loop? IS this because you need to haul down on the bar
      > along the center line when in the chicken loop to even get to the
      > point where you can use the bar to force the loop down, where as in
      > the main loop you just need to move the bar a little ways (does this
      > difference really matter when you up against you body weight 5 ft in
      > the air?)???

      Never have any problem releasing the main loop. Never be able to
      release the chicken loop in wind at or above the max range of the kite.

      The reasons are two folds: first, the chicken loop is much shorter
      therefore your arm anatomy make it much harder to release it than the
      main loop; second, when you slide the bar down to reach the chicken loop
      to release it, this action "empower" the kite and make it even harder to
      release the chicken loop.

      P.S., Attaching oneself to the kite (via a snap shackle) may be better
      but the best is to use a snap shackle right on the loop or a releasable
      harness hook (Prolimit or a "battery ribbon release" system - if they
      are working).

      P.P.S., The simpler option is not to use the chicken loop at all...

      Hung.
    • Remtgnow@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 7, 2002
        how many scheckels for that shackle? t-8?
        Phil Burke
      • Mike Soultanian
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 7, 2002
          I was looking at the Tylaska T-8 Shackle.. do you have to stick your
          finger in the little hole and push the lever to release it?

          mike

          Philip wrote:

          > A note on Shackles. Do not Screw around! Get the Trigger release shackle
          > Tylaska T-8.
          > There are less expensive shackles for sure, but saving $50-$60-or even
          > $100 bucks means nothing when you cannot release your self from the
          > kite. Weather you get them from me or not is irrelevant! Just get one.
          > Shackles with Pins become increasingly difficult to open as the load
          > goes up and the friction builds on the pin.
          > The Tylaska will release under huge load very easily as the trigger is
          > not influenced by the load on the shackle.
          >
          > Moral- Don't try to save shekels when buying a shackle, If the pin gets
          > stuck you are out of luck.
          > In safety, trying to save a nickel may mean a trip to the
          > hospital.
          >
          > Have Fun, Be Safe!
          >
          > Philip
          >

          > Philip Mann
          > Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
          > http://www.inlandsea.com
          > Kitesite.net
          > http://www.kitesite.net
          > toll free 888-465-2632

        • Philip

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 7, 2002
              Mel,

              I think Mel start to see the "light"...

              Yes, the trim line is great... Even me I use the trim strap (which in
              turn shortens or lengthens the trim line).

              It's the LOOP that is dangerous and should be banned unless they shipped
              a snap shackle loop as the standard device.

              Some "simplicist" like me just simply drop the loop...

              Hung.

              Mel wrote:

              > fernmanus <fernmanus@...> wrote:
              >
              > > A good snap shackle system can help you release from the chicken loop
              > > when you are way overpowered. I personally would never do away with
              > > the chicken loop.
              >
              > Trim LINES are great. It's the LOOP that's the biggest problem. Make the
              > loop itself too small to hook to the harness, & use a good snap shackle to
              > connect it instead. That way you can nearly always get out when you need
              > to.
              >
              > Mel

            • Dwight & Jacky
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 7, 2002
                You do if you don't buy the specially modified T-8 sold for kiting. I think they show it at NSI's
                web site.

                Dwight

                > I was looking at the Tylaska T-8 Shackle.. do you have to stick your
                > finger in the little hole and push the lever to release it?
                >
                > mike
              • airdoodle
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 8, 2002
                  > Mel,
                  >
                  > I think Mel start to see the "light"...
                  >
                  > Yes, the trim line is great... Even me I use the trim strap (which
                  in
                  > turn shortens or lengthens the trim line).
                  >
                  > It's the LOOP that is dangerous and should be banned unless
                  they shipped
                  > a snap shackle loop as the standard device.
                  >
                  > Some "simplicist" like me just simply drop the loop...
                  >
                  > Hung.

                  Ok- Let me see if I can restate this to be sure I understand and
                  to summarize everything. There seem to be three issues:

                  1) Is the chicken loop a good device to control the kite.
                  Yes.... under all conditions it allows you to have less
                  power than you otherwise would so this is "safe"

                  2) Is the chicken loop safe to be hooked into.
                  I am a bit confused....

                  two points seem to be being made, both sound correct

                  It is not safe because if you get overpowered with the bar fully
                  out you are really in trouble because you need to pull it in to
                  get out of the loop and doing so increases (A LOT) the
                  power to you in an allready bad situation. This makes sense.

                  It is also not safe because the loop is too small to release...
                  Can someone explain this to me at the first grade level

                  So, the final summary seems to be, if we had (and we do) a way
                  to more or less guarantee that you could get out of the chicken
                  loop without pulling the bar in then the chicken loop would be the
                  preferred (lets not argue about style of riding, just emphasize
                  safety for beginners) system to use.

                  So, shicken loop plus snapshackle = kite control + safety

                  Any suggestions about waiting for the prolimit v.s. buying a snap
                  shackle today?

                  Matthew
                • Mike Soultanian
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 8, 2002
                    Is releasing this shackle something that's relatively easy to do? I
                    can't really tell from the picture what needs to be done to open it.

                    Also, if you release it under pressure, it looks like the thing will
                    flip open real fast and whack you in the hand.

                    Is this an issue?

                    Thanks,
                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 8, 2002
                      Phil,

                      The T8 is $121.00 delivered/
                      There is also a pre set up harness bar set up that is nice.

                      You can se them at.
                      http://www.kitesite.net/products/mainframe_bars.htm

                      On the bottom right.

                      Let me know what questions you may have.

                      Philip

                      Philip Mann
                      Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
                      http://www.inlandsea.com
                      Kitesite.net
                      http://www.kitesite.net
                      toll free 888-465-2632

                        Philip wrote:

                        > A note on Shackles. Do not Screw around! Get the Trigger release
                        > shackle Tylaska T-8. There are less expensive shackles for sure, but
                        > saving $50-$60-or even $100 bucks means nothing when you cannot
                        > release your self from the kite. Weather you get them from me or not
                        > is irrelevant! Just get one. Shackles with Pins become increasingly
                        > difficult to open as the load goes up and the friction builds on the
                        > pin. The Tylaska will release under huge load very easily as the
                        > trigger is not influenced by the load on the shackle.
                        >
                        > Moral- Don't try to save shekels when buying a shackle, If the pin
                        > gets stuck you are out of luck.
                        > In safety, trying to save a nickel may mean a trip to the
                        > hospital.
                        >
                        > Have Fun, Be Safe!
                        >
                        > Philip
                        >

                        > Philip Mann
                        > Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
                        > http://www.inlandsea.com
                        > Kitesite.net
                        > http://www.kitesite.net
                        > toll free 888-465-2632

                      • Mel
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 9, 2002
                          Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:

                          > I think Mel start to see the "light"...
                          > It's the LOOP that is dangerous and should be banned unless
                          > they shipped
                          > a snap shackle loop as the standard device.

                          Actually Hung, I "saw the light" a couple of years ago after about the third
                          time I used a 4-line sled, & have been an anti-loop snapshackle advocate
                          ever since.

                          AND airdoodle <matthew.hockin@...> wrote:

                          > Any suggestions about waiting for the prolimit v.s. buying a snap
                          > shackle today?

                          1) Don't risk your life for the next few weeks (I just heard it will be
                          mid-to-late April before they're here), just in case they end up working
                          better (making you feel like you "wasted" $60, just to save a trip to the
                          emergency room).

                          2) An advantage to the snapshackle is that it keeps you hooked in when a
                          loop may fall off a hook (releasable or otherwise) when you don't want it
                          to. Advantages of the ProLimit include the ability to unhook from a trim
                          loop when you DO want to, as well as the ability to release from a main
                          harness line.

                          On the snapshackle itself, www.westmarine.com # 214700 is a Wichard "trigger
                          release" that's less expensive than the Tylaska T-8, but I still prefer #
                          583940 (Wichard 2673). Both require roughly equally easy modifications for
                          kiteboarding use, but the 2673 releases just as reliably (tip pivot) at
                          about 2/3 the price, & can be set up so pulling a "grab-ball" in ANY
                          direction releases it. There are photos in my group file folder.

                          Mel
                        • Pauric
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 12, 2002
                            I've seen some 2001 airblast main loops with a flexible plastic pipe. The pipe extends past the loop by an inch or so and fits *in* to the speader hook after the loop goes on. This stops the loop droping off and is relatively easy to remove under normal conditions

                            What are people's experience of this, how hard is to to release under pressure?

                            thanks

                            To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
                            cc:

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 12, 2002
                              P.

                              The Chicken Loop with the tube is not easy to get out of under load. In
                              general chicken loops are hard to get out of in an emergency situation
                              and the Tube doesn't help.

                              Philip

                              Philip Mann
                              Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
                              http://www.inlandsea.com
                              Kitesite.net
                              http://www.kitesite.net
                              toll free 888-465-2632

                              I've seen some 2001 airblast main loops with a flexible plastic pipe.
                              The pipe extends past the loop by an inch or so and fits *in* to the
                              speader hook after the loop goes on. This stops the loop droping off
                              and is relatively easy to remove under normal conditions

                              What are people's experience of this, how hard is to to release under
                              pressure?

                              thanks

                              To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
                              cc:

                              Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:

                              > I think Mel start to see the "light"...
                              > It's the LOOP that is dangerous and should be banned unless they
                              > shipped a snap shackle loop as the standard device.

                              Actually Hung, I "saw the light" a couple of years ago after about the
                              third time I used a 4-line sled, & have been an anti-loop snapshackle
                              advocate ever since.

                              AND airdoodle <matthew.hockin@...> wrote:

                              > Any suggestions about waiting for the prolimit v.s. buying a snap
                              > shackle today?

                              1) Don't risk your life for the next few weeks (I just heard it will be
                              mid-to-late April before they're here), just in case they end up working
                              better (making you feel like you "wasted" $60, just to save a trip to
                              the emergency room).

                              2) An advantage to the snapshackle is that it keeps you hooked in when a
                              loop may fall off a hook (releasable or otherwise) when you don't want
                              it to. Advantages of the ProLimit include the ability to unhook from a
                              trim loop when you DO want to, as well as the ability to release from a
                              main harness line.

                              On the snapshackle itself, www.westmarine.com # 214700 is a Wichard
                              "trigger release" that's less expensive than the Tylaska T-8, but I
                              still prefer # 583940 (Wichard 2673). Both require roughly equally easy
                              modifications for kiteboarding use, but the 2673 releases just as
                              reliably (tip pivot) at about 2/3 the price, & can be set up so pulling
                              a "grab-ball" in ANY direction releases it. There are photos in my group
                              file folder.

                              Mel

                              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                            • callum_downie
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 12, 2002
                                Harder than a normal loop without the extra tubing, and a normal loop
                                is close to imposible if you have enough power to dangerously loft
                                you.

                                Wipika now make these loops with a release mechanism where the loop
                                joins the center rope to allow you to easily release, I am unsure of
                                how reliably these release.

                                Callum