Re: [ksurfschool] Self launch inflatable

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
      The trick that makes it possible is having the kite to the side of the wind window. When you do sand
      the tip, the top tip will fall over and the kite starts to flatten out. Let the kite flatten out.
      When you go back to the bar you can pull the kite up into the c shape for power. Don't forget to
      fold the tip in half at the first rib. This is important. It takes a lot of sand to keep it folded
      in half. When you tighten the lines from the bar, it makes the bottom tip kick the sand off. If you
      don't fold the tip, and still sand it, the kite will be hard to make fly away. By having the kite
      to the side of the wind window, you can safely power the kite up slowly.

      Dwight

      > Hi,
      > Just purchased a Wipika Hydro 11m. I am a beginner, had one lesson
      > and will have further ones with my new kite.
      >
      > Have been thinking how it will be possible to do a self launch, as
      > often there will be no kiters around to assist. I read that you sand
      > the tip to keep the kite in the 'C' position, just as if an assistant
      > was holding it.
      >
      > Looking at my kite (it's quite big), I can't see how a little bit of
      > sand will hold it steady in a 10-15 knot breeze. Am I missing
      > something here?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Luke

    • airdoodle
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
        Don't forget to
        > fold the tip in half at the first rib. This is important.

        I could not agree more, one thing to note (my experience here). Snow
        does not weigh nearly as much as sand. If you live in an area where
        you plan on going out in the snow, bring a sand bag or other HEAVY
        item that wil not damage the kite. Use that instead of sand (p.s.,
        kites go downwind pretty fast on snow with no one in the loop). In
        fact, if your worried about it or have sharp rocky sand where you
        live, a nice home made sand bag (you can even make a few for big and
        small kites... but this is probably excessive and might indicate that
        you need a second hobby) fits in the car easy and it is a comfortable
        feeling knowning that you have enough weight on the kite.

        Matthew
      • fernmanus
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2002
          I also lay down a tarp if launching on rocky soil.