Re: [ksurfschool] Self launch inflatable

  • Mike Soultanian
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
      Sand's heavy stuff... it'll hold.. just put a lot on..

      You also want to fold the tip over first, then put sand on it. That
      way, when you pull on the lines, it will dump the sand off, instead of
      dragging your kite across the beach trying to get the sand off of your
      kite :)

      one tip on inflation. make sure that the kite is inflated enough to
      hold the shape of the kite, but not too much that it's going to pop. If
      you've got a dark kite, be careful about inflating it too much on a hot
      day. Remember, air expands, and if you let it sit on the beach and heat
      up, it'll pop....

      later,
      Mike

      skywalker66au wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Just purchased a Wipika Hydro 11m. I am a beginner, had one lesson
      > and will have further ones with my new kite.
      >
      > Have been thinking how it will be possible to do a self launch, as
      > often there will be no kiters around to assist. I read that you sand
      > the tip to keep the kite in the 'C' position, just as if an assistant
      > was holding it.
      >
      > Looking at my kite (it's quite big), I can't see how a little bit of
      > sand will hold it steady in a 10-15 knot breeze. Am I missing
      > something here?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Luke

      [...]
    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
        The trick that makes it possible is having the kite to the side of the wind window. When you do sand
        the tip, the top tip will fall over and the kite starts to flatten out. Let the kite flatten out.
        When you go back to the bar you can pull the kite up into the c shape for power. Don't forget to
        fold the tip in half at the first rib. This is important. It takes a lot of sand to keep it folded
        in half. When you tighten the lines from the bar, it makes the bottom tip kick the sand off. If you
        don't fold the tip, and still sand it, the kite will be hard to make fly away. By having the kite
        to the side of the wind window, you can safely power the kite up slowly.

        Dwight

        > Hi,
        > Just purchased a Wipika Hydro 11m. I am a beginner, had one lesson
        > and will have further ones with my new kite.
        >
        > Have been thinking how it will be possible to do a self launch, as
        > often there will be no kiters around to assist. I read that you sand
        > the tip to keep the kite in the 'C' position, just as if an assistant
        > was holding it.
        >
        > Looking at my kite (it's quite big), I can't see how a little bit of
        > sand will hold it steady in a 10-15 knot breeze. Am I missing
        > something here?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Luke

      • airdoodle
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
          Don't forget to
          > fold the tip in half at the first rib. This is important.

          I could not agree more, one thing to note (my experience here). Snow
          does not weigh nearly as much as sand. If you live in an area where
          you plan on going out in the snow, bring a sand bag or other HEAVY
          item that wil not damage the kite. Use that instead of sand (p.s.,
          kites go downwind pretty fast on snow with no one in the loop). In
          fact, if your worried about it or have sharp rocky sand where you
          live, a nice home made sand bag (you can even make a few for big and
          small kites... but this is probably excessive and might indicate that
          you need a second hobby) fits in the car easy and it is a comfortable
          feeling knowning that you have enough weight on the kite.

          Matthew
        • fernmanus
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2002
            I also lay down a tarp if launching on rocky soil.