Hw many kites in a Quiver?

  • misterpauljarvis
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2002
      I am new to the sport but have already received invaluble advice from
      guys in this e group. Thank you all.

      I have started out with a Wipika 6.5m classic, a LEI 2 line set up.
      The 6.5 is apparently the projected area and not the flat area. I am
      getting frustrated as I work most weekends and so I am on the beach
      on my own mid week with no one to help me launch and land. In the
      right winds I can launch and land this kite on my own but of late
      everytime I have been to the beach the wind has been in excess of
      25kts which seems to be too much for this kite (or me). So ended up
      bugggying with a 3m Blade 2.

      Questions.

      Does a 4 line set up have more wind speed range?

      Am I being over cautios not wanting to fly my kite in 25+ kt wind
      speeds?

      How many kites would I need to give me effective days surfing through
      most wind conditions, say 10 - 30 kts?

      Which kite sizes would these be (steer clear of brand arguments if
      poss)?

      Please bear in mind that my wife is already becoming critical of
      expenditure so cheap does come into this.

      Thanks in advance, Paul (UK South Coast).
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2002
        misterpauljarvis <misterpauljarvis@...> wrote:

        > Does a 4 line set up have more wind speed range?

        Yes.

        > Am I being over cautios not wanting to fly my kite in 25+ kt wind
        > speeds?

        No such thing as "over cautious" in this sport which can kill you.

        > How many kites would I need to give me effective days surfing through
        > most wind conditions, say 10 - 30 kts?

        At least two.

        > Which kite sizes would these be (steer clear of brand arguments if
        > poss)?

        Take a look at my interactive chart in the group files. Enter your weight
        on the "Range Estimator" sheet of the KiteSpecs file, then select the
        "graph" sheet to check your ranges for different sizes.