Waterfoil - advice please

  • misterpauljarvis
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      I have just bought a second hand waterfoil and would like any advice
      any one has on launching, flying and landing this kite. It is set up
      on a control bar with the brake lines going to the centre depower
      loop. I will eventually use this for kitesurfing but this weekend
      will just spend time on land getting used to the kite. I currently
      fly a 3.0m Blade 2 on handles and a 6.5m Wipika on 2 lines on a bar.

      Thanks in anticipation, Paul.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2002
        Paul,

        From subsection 1 of the http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/howto.htm
        section of Kitesurfing School web site (it's probably better to read the
        web site than this "unformatted" copy-&-paste).

        Hung.
        ----------------------
        Launching Foil:

        1.Lay your kite on the ground and put
        enough sand/snow on its trailing edge to keep it in
        place. Click here to see a picture.
        2.If you use a closed-cell foil that has
        pre-inflation valves (such as the New Wave or Jojo
        Wet), open them now to pre-inflate the
        kite.
        3.Once the kite is properly pre-inflated,
        close the pre-inflation valve. Release the lines from
        you control bar or handles and attach
        your safety leash to your wrist. Click here to see a
        picture.
        4.Launch the kite. If you are using a
        closed cell foil, make sure you maintain the tension on
        the front lines to let the wind fill the
        kite for approximately 60 seconds before launching.
        Click here to see a picture.
        5.If the kite is not completely inflated,
        move it across the wind window a few times before
        moving it straight overhead.

        Water Relaunch Foil:

        1.Water relaunch a foil is easy. The foil
        will either crash leading edge down or trailing edge
        down.
        2.If the leading edge is down, just pull
        on the brake lines (the center lead line) to reverse
        relaunch the kite.
        3.If the trailing edge is down, just pull
        on the control bar to launch the kite.
        4.If the kite is badly mixed up, just wait
        for the wind to blow the kite in to proper shape
        before using step 2 or 3 depending on
        the position of the leading edge and trailing edge.

        Landing Foil:

        1.If the foil has proper safety release
        system, to land a foil simply drop the control bar or
        handles, the kite will land softy down
        straight ahead.