Re: Relaunching a 17.5 ARX - made easy

  • coryadams
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2002
      Kenny,

      I have tried that but had a really rough time. After I pull a good
      deal of line in I have gotten tangled in the line as it goes under me.
      I'm a doof but even then it took a long time to get the kite to flip
      over on it's back. I must have pulled several yards of line in to
      finally get it to happen. I must be doing something wrong....

      Thanks,

      Cory

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...> wrote:
      > Cory,
      >
      > I just ordered a steering bridle because I heard that it increases
      > the responsiveness of the kite. However, if you are only concerned
      > about relaunching, you can relaunch a 17.5 without the power steering
      > bridle. I posted this message last summer, but there may be people
      > out there that are unfamiliar with this method.
      >
      > First, if the kite is resting on the leading edge, you need to get it
      > to flip over by pulling in a yard or more of the center leader and
      > then releasing while laying on your stomach and gliding forward in
      > the "superman" position. When the kite has flipped over it will
      > start moving forward to the side of the window like the smaller kites.
      >
      > The 17.5 ARX is difficult to relaunch because the top edge often will
      > not come up off the water when the kite is in the "corkscrew"
      > position. I found that by pulling in a yard of the lower leader with
      > one hand and using the other hand to pull on the upper end of the
      > bar, the kite will quickly form the "C" shape and launch into the
      > air. The only warning that I have is that the kite will often launch
      > downwind and give you quite a drag and it is a little awkward the
      > first couple times you try it. The great thing about this method is
      > that I can usually relaunch the 17.5 in less than a minute. I
      > haven't tried this method on the larger Naish kites, but I can tell
      > you that this method works very well with the 15.5 and 17.5.
      >
      > Kenny
      >

      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "coryadams" <coryadams@y...> wrote:
      > > Could somebody please provide some information regarding the
      > Powersteering Bridle.
      > >
      > > The Naish site has little or no information about it.
      > >
      > > I'm wondering how it works and would also like to know if anybody
      > has been able to use it with some of the big ARX kites. If you have
      > used it did it make relaunching a possibility - how about general
      > handling of the kite.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Cory
    • Philip
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
        Cory,

        I recommend getting the Power booster for the 17.5. It is true that the
        larger kites can be relaunched without it, but it is
        Soooooo much easier with reverse relaunch.
        Just for the peace of mind its worth it.
        Then you can practice the non-reverse relaunch while having the back up
        of the booster.
        This allows you to save some energy for riding as a few missed shots at
        Relaunching can be exhausting and very frustrating. Is also keeps you in
        the water longer and in the spring when the water is often cold it only
        amplifies the exhaustion and that can be a real problem.
        Time on the water is precious and can be tough to get. I say make the
        most of it by making Relaunching easier on yourself until you become
        proficient at other methods.

        Have fun, ride safe,

        Philip

        Philip Mann
        Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
        http://www.inlandsea.com
        Kitesite.net
        http://www.kitesite.net
        toll free 888-465-2632

        I have tried that but had a really rough time. After I pull a good deal
        of line in I have gotten tangled in the line as it goes under me. I'm a
        doof but even then it took a long time to get the kite to flip over on
        it's back. I must have pulled several yards of line in to finally get
        it to happen. I must be doing something wrong....

        Thanks,

        Cory

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...> wrote:
        > Cory,
        >
        > I just ordered a steering bridle because I heard that it increases
        > the responsiveness of the kite. However, if you are only concerned
        > about relaunching, you can relaunch a 17.5 without the power steering
        > bridle. I posted this message last summer, but there may be people
        > out there that are unfamiliar with this method.
        >
        > First, if the kite is resting on the leading edge, you need to get it
        > to flip over by pulling in a yard or more of the center leader and
        > then releasing while laying on your stomach and gliding forward in
        > the "superman" position. When the kite has flipped over it will
        > start moving forward to the side of the window like the smaller kites.
        >
        > The 17.5 ARX is difficult to relaunch because the top edge often will
        > not come up off the water when the kite is in the "corkscrew"
        > position. I found that by pulling in a yard of the lower leader with
        > one hand and using the other hand to pull on the upper end of the
        > bar, the kite will quickly form the "C" shape and launch into the
        > air. The only warning that I have is that the kite will often launch
        > downwind and give you quite a drag and it is a little awkward the
        > first couple times you try it. The great thing about this method is
        > that I can usually relaunch the 17.5 in less than a minute. I
        > haven't tried this method on the larger Naish kites, but I can tell
        > you that this method works very well with the 15.5 and 17.5.
        >
        > Kenny
        >

        > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "coryadams" <coryadams@y...> wrote:
        > > Could somebody please provide some information regarding the
        > Powersteering Bridle.
        > >
        > > The Naish site has little or no information about it.
        > >
        > > I'm wondering how it works and would also like to know if anybody
        > has been able to use it with some of the big ARX kites. If you have
        > used it did it make relaunching a possibility - how about general
        > handling of the kite.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Cory

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • fernmanus
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
          Cory,

          I doubt you are doing anything wrong. This method takes some
          practise. I agree with Philip. Buy the bridle and practise the
          other method as well. I find that when you are really powered up,
          the reverse launch is not always the best method. Knowing more than
          one method to relaunch your kite is advantageous. In time, you will
          know which method to use depending on the position of the kite and
          the water and wind conditions.

        • coryadams
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
            Philip,