Naish PowerSteering Bridle

  • coryadams
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2002
      Could somebody please provide some information regarding the Powersteering Bridle.

      The Naish site has little or no information about it.

      I'm wondering how it works and would also like to know if anybody has been able to use it with some of the big ARX kites. If you have used it did it make relaunching a possibility - how about general handling of the kite.

      Thanks,

      Cory
    • fernmanus
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2002
        Cory,

        I just ordered a steering bridle because I heard that it increases
        the responsiveness of the kite. However, if you are only concerned
        about relaunching, you can relaunch a 17.5 without the power steering
        bridle. I posted this message last summer, but there may be people
        out there that are unfamiliar with this method.

        First, if the kite is resting on the leading edge, you need to get it
        to flip over by pulling in a yard or more of the center leader and
        then releasing while laying on your stomach and gliding forward in
        the "superman" position. When the kite has flipped over it will
        start moving forward to the side of the window like the smaller kites.

        The 17.5 ARX is difficult to relaunch because the top edge often will
        not come up off the water when the kite is in the "corkscrew"
        position. I found that by pulling in a yard of the lower leader with
        one hand and using the other hand to pull on the upper end of the
        bar, the kite will quickly form the "C" shape and launch into the
        air. The only warning that I have is that the kite will often launch
        downwind and give you quite a drag and it is a little awkward the
        first couple times you try it. The great thing about this method is
        that I can usually relaunch the 17.5 in less than a minute. I
        haven't tried this method on the larger Naish kites, but I can tell
        you that this method works very well with the 15.5 and 17.5.

        Kenny

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "coryadams" <coryadams@y...> wrote:
        > Could somebody please provide some information regarding the
        Powersteering Bridle.

        > The Naish site has little or no information about it.
        >
        > I'm wondering how it works and would also like to know if anybody
        has been able to use it with some of the big ARX kites. If you have
        used it did it make relaunching a possibility - how about general
        handling of the kite.

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Cory
      • Philip Mann
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2002
          The booster works! It is basically the same as the Wipika system where
          enough tension on the rear lines will engage another line attached to the
          trailing edge of the kite the pull on the trailing edge allows it to lift
          off the water and fly backwards.
          I have used it on the 15.5 in the Naish and it worked very well./
          I have also used Wipika on the 16.4 (23meter Naish) and it works there as
          well.
          Let me know if I can get one for you or if you have more questions.

          Philip
          kitesite.net
          888-465-2632

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2002
            Kenny,

            I have tried that but had a really rough time. After I pull a good
            deal of line in I have gotten tangled in the line as it goes under me.
            I'm a doof but even then it took a long time to get the kite to flip
            over on it's back. I must have pulled several yards of line in to
            finally get it to happen. I must be doing something wrong....

            Thanks,

            Cory

            --- In ksurfschool@y..., "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...> wrote:
            > Cory,
            >
            > I just ordered a steering bridle because I heard that it increases
            > the responsiveness of the kite. However, if you are only concerned
            > about relaunching, you can relaunch a 17.5 without the power steering
            > bridle. I posted this message last summer, but there may be people
            > out there that are unfamiliar with this method.
            >
            > First, if the kite is resting on the leading edge, you need to get it
            > to flip over by pulling in a yard or more of the center leader and
            > then releasing while laying on your stomach and gliding forward in
            > the "superman" position. When the kite has flipped over it will
            > start moving forward to the side of the window like the smaller kites.
            >
            > The 17.5 ARX is difficult to relaunch because the top edge often will
            > not come up off the water when the kite is in the "corkscrew"
            > position. I found that by pulling in a yard of the lower leader with
            > one hand and using the other hand to pull on the upper end of the
            > bar, the kite will quickly form the "C" shape and launch into the
            > air. The only warning that I have is that the kite will often launch
            > downwind and give you quite a drag and it is a little awkward the
            > first couple times you try it. The great thing about this method is
            > that I can usually relaunch the 17.5 in less than a minute. I
            > haven't tried this method on the larger Naish kites, but I can tell
            > you that this method works very well with the 15.5 and 17.5.
            >
            > Kenny
            >

            > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "coryadams" <coryadams@y...> wrote:
            > > Could somebody please provide some information regarding the
            > Powersteering Bridle.
            > >
            > > The Naish site has little or no information about it.
            > >
            > > I'm wondering how it works and would also like to know if anybody
            > has been able to use it with some of the big ARX kites. If you have
            > used it did it make relaunching a possibility - how about general
            > handling of the kite.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Cory
          • Philip
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
              Cory,

              I recommend getting the Power booster for the 17.5. It is true that the
              larger kites can be relaunched without it, but it is
              Soooooo much easier with reverse relaunch.
              Just for the peace of mind its worth it.
              Then you can practice the non-reverse relaunch while having the back up
              of the booster.
              This allows you to save some energy for riding as a few missed shots at
              Relaunching can be exhausting and very frustrating. Is also keeps you in
              the water longer and in the spring when the water is often cold it only
              amplifies the exhaustion and that can be a real problem.
              Time on the water is precious and can be tough to get. I say make the
              most of it by making Relaunching easier on yourself until you become
              proficient at other methods.

              Have fun, ride safe,

              Philip

              Philip Mann
              Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
              http://www.inlandsea.com
              Kitesite.net
              http://www.kitesite.net
              toll free 888-465-2632

              I have tried that but had a really rough time. After I pull a good deal
              of line in I have gotten tangled in the line as it goes under me. I'm a
              doof but even then it took a long time to get the kite to flip over on
              it's back. I must have pulled several yards of line in to finally get
              it to happen. I must be doing something wrong....

              Thanks,

              Cory

              --- In ksurfschool@y..., "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...> wrote:
              > Cory,
              >
              > I just ordered a steering bridle because I heard that it increases
              > the responsiveness of the kite. However, if you are only concerned
              > about relaunching, you can relaunch a 17.5 without the power steering
              > bridle. I posted this message last summer, but there may be people
              > out there that are unfamiliar with this method.
              >
              > First, if the kite is resting on the leading edge, you need to get it
              > to flip over by pulling in a yard or more of the center leader and
              > then releasing while laying on your stomach and gliding forward in
              > the "superman" position. When the kite has flipped over it will
              > start moving forward to the side of the window like the smaller kites.
              >
              > The 17.5 ARX is difficult to relaunch because the top edge often will
              > not come up off the water when the kite is in the "corkscrew"
              > position. I found that by pulling in a yard of the lower leader with
              > one hand and using the other hand to pull on the upper end of the
              > bar, the kite will quickly form the "C" shape and launch into the
              > air. The only warning that I have is that the kite will often launch
              > downwind and give you quite a drag and it is a little awkward the
              > first couple times you try it. The great thing about this method is
              > that I can usually relaunch the 17.5 in less than a minute. I
              > haven't tried this method on the larger Naish kites, but I can tell
              > you that this method works very well with the 15.5 and 17.5.
              >
              > Kenny
              >

              > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "coryadams" <coryadams@y...> wrote:
              > > Could somebody please provide some information regarding the
              > Powersteering Bridle.
              > >
              > > The Naish site has little or no information about it.
              > >
              > > I'm wondering how it works and would also like to know if anybody
              > has been able to use it with some of the big ARX kites. If you have
              > used it did it make relaunching a possibility - how about general
              > handling of the kite.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Cory

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • fernmanus
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
                Cory,

                I doubt you are doing anything wrong. This method takes some
                practise. I agree with Philip. Buy the bridle and practise the
                other method as well. I find that when you are really powered up,
                the reverse launch is not always the best method. Knowing more than
                one method to relaunch your kite is advantageous. In time, you will
                know which method to use depending on the position of the kite and
                the water and wind conditions.

              • coryadams
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
                  Philip,