Re: [ksurfschool] Boom currently uses flat size!

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2002
      Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

      > to convert from foil to sled, use the 12/7
      > factor and from sled to foil, use the 7/12 factor.

      That's a factor of 0.583, which is very close to what seems to be the actual
      projected area (0.565) of an inflatable sled*. You can use the same 12/7 or
      7/12 or 0.58 factor of the flat area of an ARC, because they FEEL like they
      have about the same projected area for their flat size (only the
      manufacturer's projected specs don't agree with this, but that really
      doesn't matter).

      *the difference likely due to the foil's projected being a few percent less
      than flat.

      In other words, if you don't want to do the calculations you can compare
      foils & INFLATABLE sleds using both their real projected areas (from column
      D of my chart), but don't use that for ARCs (use Hung's 7/12, or 12/7).