Re: [ksurfschool] Line lengths/Leash

  • Suntrax
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2002
      Mike/Mel/Group

      I had kitesurfer in the shop yesterday who told me about a leash system he
      uses. He apparently saw it on another guys kite who intends patenting it in
      Germany.
      It consists of a 5th line, from a spring clip(suppose you could also use a
      QR here) on the harness, to a small cleat on the bar, to the kite. On the
      kite he has two webbing straps, each about 15cm adjacent to the centre of
      the leading edge, wrapping around the bladder casing with double patches on
      the dacron top and bottom.(They could possibly pass through the kite at this
      point and reduce the patching) These are attached in such a way that when
      the bladders are inflated the pull is against the back of the bladder
      casing, reducing the stress on the flat dacron.The webings each have a metal
      ring at the front to which is attached a short bridal joining about 1m from
      the kite. There he attaches the 5th line.
      When wanting to land, or quickly depower the kite, he lets the bar go and
      the 5th line then tensions the kite much the same as holding it in the
      middle by hand, the kite then gently floats to ground dead downwind and sits
      happily on the ground, or water. Because there is then no pull on the kite
      the bar only goes a short distance up the centre line and is easily
      recovered.

      Then, he uses the same system to water relaunch the kite, according to him
      very successfully.

      He claims the main benefit is the gentle landing of the kite and stability
      when on the ground, even in strong wind and the ease of water relaunching

      Am not sure of the function of the cleat on the bar, we didn't get that far.

      What do you think?.

      Brian

      Brian Wilson
      Suntrax