learning on a foil type kite

  • odileham
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2002
      Can anyone help me please? I am trying to learn to Kitesurf using a
      foil type water relaunchable kite. Is it more difficult then using a
      naish type kite. Also where can I find a set of diagrams as to the
      kite positioning whilst getting up on the board and thereafter. I am
      trying to learn alone and am finding it very frustrating indeed. By
      the way I am living in cape town South Africa.

      Many thanks
      James Ham
    • Remtgnow@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2002
        get the video BOOST>
        2 great video's that will answer most of your questions.
        Phil b
      • kitesrfer@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12, 2002
          Hello James,

          Kitesurfing with a foil requires a totally different approach to setup,
          launching and landing when compared to the same procedures for an inflatable
          kite. Toss in different handling characteristics while you are kitesurfing
          and it really takes a different approach from inflatables. You can try to
          learn about all this in the "school of hard knocks" or you can take lessons.
          I strongly recommend taking the later approach. I remember getting "knocked"
          pretty hard, several times a few years ago while learning how to fly foils on
          my own before instruction was commonly available. You could contact Brian
          at Suntrax in Capetown for more info at:

          http://www.suntrax.co.za/

          Rick Iossi

          Can anyone help me please? I am trying to learn to Kitesurf using a
          foil type water relaunchable kite. Is it more difficult then using a
          naish type kite. Also where can I find a set of diagrams as to the
          kite positioning whilst getting up on the board and thereafter. I am
          trying to learn alone and am finding it very frustrating indeed. By
          the way I am living in cape town South Africa.

          Many thanks
          James Ham
        • Suntrax
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2002
            Hi James

            Am also from Capetown. Would strongly suggest you contact Dave Calahan at
            The Kite Shop
            in Capetown, e-mail; kiteshop@... , Tel 5518216.
            Dave is a very competent Flexifoil Blade flyer and works with the Flexifoil
            importer doing all their demo's and lessons.

            When you get tired of swimming, come in and see us for a real kite.:-))

            Good winds.

            Brian

            Brian Wilson
            Suntrax