Rio Vista, CA. whats it like?

  • sn2op_d100
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6 9:00 PM
      I live far from any kiteboarding waters, at least 2 hours from wipika
      in livermore, and I was reading through the messages and I saw some
      one mention Rio Vista which is some place I would like to explore and
      I checked out the the websight for the kitesurfing school down there
      and they said that they close down for the winter and they went into
      how the heat creates the good conditions but they said nothing about
      what it is like in the winter.(as of now). I was wondering if any
      body could tell me what the wind conditions are like in the winter.
      And any other places in the area that would be good for kitesurfing.
    • Notalreadyinusebysomeoneelse
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22 10:41 PM
        I started learning how to kiteboard late last summer at Sherman
        Island in Rio Vista with Bruce from Sheldon Sails. I'm a beginner
        with no previous experience in windsurfing, wakeboarding, etc. so
        I'm probably not the best person to give you details on the conditions
        there. All I can say is that we got lots of consistent wind all
        through September last year. Unfortunately for me, I'm very petite
        and was often overpowered by my "Barbie kite" (Wipika 3.5).

        It's pretty dead in the winter in Rio Vista though, which is why I've
        been down in La Ventana/Baja twice this winter at Sheldon Sail's
        campground :)

        If you have a thick wetsuit, you should be able to start going out
        in April, maybe even March. I can't wait to get out there again
        myself. The only bad thing about kiting at Sherman Island is the
        launching. Not much room for mistakes there.

        Stephanie