What to wear in the water?

  • misterpauljarvis
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5 8:24 AM
      I am booking a weeks holiday in Fuerteventura in late March. Planned
      to kite surf on Flag Beach (flagbeach.com) looks pretty good! As I am
      new to the sport I have only surfed UK waters in the Autumn / Winter
      and only have a winter wet suit. What should I be wearing in the
      Canaries in the water?

      Paul
    • jkoivumaa
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27 12:41 AM
        Hi,

        I just got back from Tenerife a week ago. The locals there were
        mostly wearing short sleeved, thin wet suits. I had a full 3mm suit
        and it worked fine. Winter wet suit may be a bit warm in late march;
        at least I tend to get a good work-out when kitesurfing and seldom
        feel too cold :)

        Jussi

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "misterpauljarvis" <misterpauljarvis@y...>
        wrote:
        > I am booking a weeks holiday in Fuerteventura in late March.
        Planned
        > to kite surf on Flag Beach (flagbeach.com) looks pretty good! As I
        am
        > new to the sport I have only surfed UK waters in the Autumn /
        Winter
        > and only have a winter wet suit. What should I be wearing in the
        > Canaries in the water?
        >
        > Paul
      • Suntrax
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27 9:30 AM
          Hey Jussi

          Where were you in Tenerife and what were the conditions like, on and off the
          water?

          Thanks

          Brian

          Brian Wilson
          Suntrax
          Tel/fax 027 21 5560044
          cell; 0824656696
          www.suntrax.co.za
          suntrax@...

          > I just got back from Tenerife a week ago. The locals there were
          > mostly wearing short sleeved, thin wet suits. I had a full 3mm suit
          > and it worked fine. Winter wet suit may be a bit warm in late march;
          > at least I tend to get a good work-out when kitesurfing and seldom
          > feel too cold :)
          >
          > Jussi
          >
          > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "misterpauljarvis" <misterpauljarvis@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > I am booking a weeks holiday in Fuerteventura in late March.
          > Planned
          > > to kite surf on Flag Beach (flagbeach.com) looks pretty good! As I
          > am
          > > new to the sport I have only surfed UK waters in the Autumn /
          > Winter
          > > and only have a winter wet suit. What should I be wearing in the
          > > Canaries in the water?
          > >
          > > Paul

        • jkoivumaa
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28 7:07 AM
            Hi,

            Well, I spent a week there in Feb and the conditions were ...
            interesting. Here are my opinions about Tenerife (but please bear in
            mind that I am not an experienced kitesurfer, so many people would
            probably have a different view):

            - Beaches around Tenerife are mostly very rocky (sharp lava rock).
            There were 2 good, sandy beaches around El Medano (El Medano bay and
            La Tajita) suitable for beginners. All other sand beaches (that I saw
            of) were full of sunbathers and tourists and thus not possible to
            kite surf at. Both of the 2 beaches were pretty short, so when the
            weather was good, they filled up quickly with experienced surfers
            which made it difficult for beginners to fit in.

            - Out of the 7 days there, wind direction was good for El Medano for
            3-4 days. One day it was too weak for my 9.5 Naish; the other 2 days
            it turned too strong for me in the afternoon. One day we went hiking
            up on Teide and heard afterwards that the weather had been pretty
            good for surfing (of course).

            - The pros there were mostly using 7.5 m inflatable kites and even
            for them the wind was too hard during those 2 afternoons

            - There seemed to be a pretty solid base of fairly experienced kite
            surfers in El Medano. There you can also find several kite and surf
            shops and get information and advice about where to surf at in which
            weather. (although, a couple of times we were told where people were
            kite surfing and once we go to the beach in question, we didn't find
            any surfers :)

            - A friend of mine had his paraglider with him, but weren't able to
            fly once during the week because of too strong winds.

            - Other than kite-surfing, the mountain Teide is beautiful and worth
            a visit and a hike. Puerto de la Cruz is a pretty town and nice place
            to visit. South of the island around Las Americas is very touristic,
            very dry, lots of construction (often half finished and then
            abandoned) everywhere. If one likes to hang out in bars with
            tourists, then Las Americas and Los Cristianos may be the place, but
            for me it didn't really make it.

            To summarize, if you're a beginner, I am sure there are better places
            for learning that Tenerife. Even if the wind is good (and I hear it
            often is), the beaches are not. For experts the island works better.

            Cheers

            Jussi