Snow power requirement Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Wipika Snow Foil Report Part 2

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2002
      There seems to be some different opinions on the power needed for
      kiteskiing/kitesnowboarding. These are my observations:
      - For ice or almost ice the power needed is roughly 1/2 of kitesurfing
      - For normal hard pack with some snow around 2/3 of kitesurfing
      - For 6-8" of snow around 3/4 of kitesurfing
      - For 1-2' of snow around 1/1 of kitesurfing
      - Kitesnowboarding can handle more wind than kiteskiing (especially in
      more than 6" of snow). There are times when I think I had more power
      than kitesurfing. Why? Because in kitesnowboarding, you can fly the
      kite very high and still go upwind (great for jumping).

      P.S., Putting up a 7.0 m foil in 20 knots or roughly 25 mph is probably
      too much for me; however, I had used the EX's 6.0 kitesnowboarding in
      almost 1' of snow in 15 knots gusting to 25 knots in its depowered mode
      (similar power as a 5 m foil).

      Hung.

      fernmanus wrote:

      > Pauric,
      >
      > 25 knots is equivalent to 30 mph winds. 35 knots equal 40 mph. I
      > wouldn't throw up a 7M foil in 30 - 40 mph winds either. However, in
      > 20 - 25 mph winds, I would fly a 7M foil in a foot of powder. If the
      > wind is always that strong where you live, use a smaller kite. A 2M
      > foil would not generate much power in 20 mph winds. Maybe enough to
      > pull you across solid ice, but not through a powder field.
      >
      > Kenny
      >
      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Pauric" <paurico@p...> wrote:
      > > I'm sorry, something sounds seriously wrong about a 7m foil up in
      > 25kn winds - on land. That simply should be able to happen. There
      > were strong winds here this weekend, 25kn ish gusting to 35 and there
      > was no way I was putting my 3m foil up (and a very inefficient one at
      > that).
      > >
      > > It begining to sound like this wipisnowfoil is a bit of a lame
      > horse, any comments Matt?
      > >

      > > To: ksurfschool@y...
      > > cc:
      > > Subject: RE: [ksurfschool] Wipika Snow Foil Report Part 2
      > >
      > > i am not trying to tell beginners to ride this kite in
      > > 25. the day that i rode it in 25 there was 1 to 2
      > > feet of powder, and i know how to ride litt. as far a
      > > s the projected area, i have no idea. it doesn't
      > > really matter either. if you are a beginner or you
      > > are riding on hard snow then you can ride this kite in
      > > around 10. if you are an advanced rider, and you are
      > > riding in deep snow you can ride this kite into the
      > > 20s
      > >

      > > --- David Stanek <staff@s...> wrote:
      > > > just a note - what projected area is this 7.0
      > > > Wipifoil?? If you can use this
      > > > kite in 25 mph on snow the power output can't be so
      > > > great - in this wind
      > > > all I need is 2.0 m2 foil ??
      > > > david

    • fernmanus
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2002
        Hung,

        I generally agree with your observations.

        >P.S., Putting up a 7.0 m foil in 20 knots or roughly 25 mph is
        probably
        > too much for me; however, I had used the EX's 6.0 kitesnowboarding
        in
        > almost 1' of snow in 15 knots gusting to 25 knots in its depowered
        mode
        > (similar power as a 5 m foil).

        You weigh 50 LBS less than me, so I don't expect that you would put
        up the same size kite.