[ksurfschool] Kite size?

  • Martyn_Gilson-1@sbphrd.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2000
      Hi,
      I am very new to Kitesurfing but I can windsurf, carve gybes, waterstarts etc.
      so I understand the 'wind'...
      I recently had a go on my brothers FOne 6.5m kite and thought it was a nice
      sail. I have the opportunity to purchase a Naish kite and I would like some
      advice on what size to buy.

      Naish make a 5m and a 7 m and nothing in between. I am 85 kg, (OK after
      Christmas possible 88kg) and my brother who is also learning, recommends the 7m
      Naish "because it is not as powerful as his Fone 6.5m" (my brother is about
      105kgs and a better widsurfer).

      Naish quote that the wind rages for both sails are similar; 5m 12-25; 7m 10-20
      knots (for a 80kg person). I have my reservations on a 7m sail especially after
      reading kite school information (which I think is great). It seems obvious that
      it is better to be underpowered and develop your own power by making the kite
      fly faster, as explained by sine waves, rather than holding on for your life and
      being dragged down wind 50m each fall.

      It seems that a smaller sail is more versatile because it is faster, therefore
      more powerful in a bigger wind range.

      After all this 'theory', could someone please give me some advice on which size
      sail I should purchase??
      Cheers
      Martyn
    • Thorbjørn Brøndum
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2000
        have you seen the waterfoil from peter lynn?

[...]

        Looking for educational tools for you kids?
        Find everything you need at SmarterKids.com
        http://click.egroups.com/1/645/5/_/60094/_/947239861/

        eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ksurfschool/
      • Martyn_Gilson-1@sbphrd.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2000
          I have heard of it but I am getting a Very good price for a Naish and I cannot
          refuse it.

          tbl@... on 07-Jan-2000 10:13

          Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

          To: ksurfschool
          cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
          Subject: [ksurfschool] Re: Kite size?

[...]

          Toys, Books, Software. Save $10 on any order of $25 or more at
          SmarterKids.com. Hurry, offer expires 1/15/00.
          http://click.egroups.com/1/646/5/_/60094/_/947240082/

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ksurfschool
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2000
            Martyn,

            It depends on the condition you likely to encounter. If you have 10-15
            knots most of the time, the 7.0 m2 Naish is the better kite. If you
            have 15-20 knots most of the time, the 5.0 is the best kite to have.

            Also remember that you can change the line length to suit the
            conditions.

            Hung.

            Martyn_Gilson-1@... wrote:

            > I have heard of it but I am getting a Very good price for a Naish and I cannot
            > refuse it.
            >
            > tbl@... on 07-Jan-2000 10:13
            >
            > Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com
            >
            > To: ksurfschool
            > cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
            > Subject: [ksurfschool] Re: Kite size?
            >
            > have you seen the waterfoil from peter lynn?

          • Dave Raue
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2000
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 10, 2000
                Hi Dave,

                I live in the UK where there are crystal clear, warm blue water, beautifully
                clean 6 foot faces and a constant force 2 in the morning, picking up to a force
                5 each and every afternoon. I wish......

                I am now living near the east coast but being a small island, the south coast
                (which is nice) is pretty near for a weekend. The only way to explain the
                conditions is unpredictable and it is purely a case of watching the weather
                forecast and hoping.

                The only reason why I was recommended a inflatable is that it can be relaunched
                easily, it is easy to manage, (no canopy) and, I was told, easy to control. I
                would imagine that being a learner I would be ditching the kite in the sea quite
                often but there are people that say they rarely crashed it even as learners.

                It seems to me that it is purely a matter of preference and of conditions. I am
                getting a great deal on a Naish, (friend of a windsurf shop owner), and I will
                go for the 7m kite. I do accept that I will need a smaller/different kite in
                the future but, as you mention, not until I can fly the kite well in low winds.

                I really appreciate your advice and I am sure there will be a few more questions
                coming your way. I hope to get the kite by next weekend and visit my brother in
                Wales to give it the first go. Judging by the weather today, I may have to
                break the ice before I get in! Why wasn't I born in a hot country?!

                Cheers
                Martyn

                theraves@... on 07-Jan-2000 23:50

                Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

                To: ksurfschool
                cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)

                > I am very new to Kitesurfing but I can windsurf, carve gybes, waterstarts
                etc.
                > so I understand the 'wind'...
                > I recently had a go on my brothers FOne 6.5m kite and thought it was a
                nice
                > sail. I have the opportunity to purchase a Naish kite and I would like
                some
                > advice on what size to buy.

                Where do you live and what's the wind like? I'll risk flames by making a
                broad generalization: IMHO the inflatables are best suited to high wind
                areas. Reason: they fly like crap and need the wind to stay in the air.
                Foils work way better in lower wind and the 4-liners are way easier to
                control. There's also a lot of propaganda out there that "inflatables are
                easier to learn," "better suited to beginners" etc. I think it's a lot of
                crap. This means that a kiteschool can get you out in a day or 2. But
                don't think you'll really be a good flier. Take the time to really learn to
                fly.

                > Naish make a 5m and a 7 m and nothing in between. I am 85 kg, (OK after
                > Christmas possible 88kg) and my brother who is also learning, recommends
                the 7m
                > Naish "because it is not as powerful as his Fone 6.5m" (my brother is
                about
                > 105kgs and a better widsurfer).

                As far as the Naish, unless you live in an nuclear wind area go for the
                bigger one. Accept that you'll end up with several kites, the issue is just
                where to start. Your brother4's right, the 7m Naish is about like a 5m
                foil, which isn't so big.

                > Naish quote that the wind rages for both sails are similar; 5m 12-25; 7m
                10-20
                > knots (for a 80kg person). I have my reservations on a 7m sail especially
                after
                > reading kite school information (which I think is great). It seems
                obvious that
                > it is better to be underpowered and develop your own power by making the
                kite
                > fly faster, as explained by sine waves, rather than holding on for your
                life and
                > being dragged down wind 50m each fall.

                Being underpowered makes things way harder to learn. There's a limit to
                how much power you can generate.

                > It seems that a smaller sail is more versatile because it is faster,
                therefore
                > more powerful in a bigger wind range.

                No - a small kite is useless in low winds. Again - what are prevailing
                conditions where ever you are?

                Hope this helped a little,

                Dave

                Looking for educational tools for your kids?
                Find everything you need at SmarterKids.com
                http://click.egroups.com/1/645/5/_/60094/_/947289184/

                -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
                -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ksurfschool&m=1
              • Dave Raue
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 10, 2000
                  Makes a lot of sense. The beauty of these groups is that you can easily
                  consider all the angles before diving in (no pun!) and understand the issues
                  before making a decision. Good flying!

                  Dave

                  ps- this time of year I crave warmth too. Southern New England sucks in
                  winter!

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 10, 2000
                    Dave Raue wrote:
                    > ps- this time of year I crave warmth too. Southern New England sucks in
                    > winter!

                    Winter is not that bad! Try some winter sport like snowboarding and you
                    will never ever longing for summer again.

                    Or try kite snowskiing!!!

                    If you don't have enough snow, import some from Canada ;-)

                    Hung.
                  • Dave Raue
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 11, 2000
                      Thanks for the kind thoughts, but!!!!!!! We no longer have winter! haven't
                      had for 3 or 4 years! It's too cold for water sports to be pleasant and too
                      warm for snow and ice. I've got the spring bulbs and flowers coming up!
                      EERRGGFRGGHH!
                      Dave
                      > > ps- this time of year I crave warmth too. Southern New England sucks in
                      > > winter!
                      >
                      > Winter is not that bad! Try some winter sport like snowboarding and you
                      > will never ever longing for summer again.
                      >
                      > Or try kite snowskiing!!!
                      >
                      > If you don't have enough snow, import some from Canada ;-)

                      > You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it! Sign
                      > up today at X.com. It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
                      >

                      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ksurfschool

                    • Colin Gowland
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 11, 2000
                        Better get a mountainboard! www.mountainboard.com I think...

                        > Thanks for the kind thoughts, but!!!!!!! We no longer have winter!
                        haven't
                        > had for 3 or 4 years! It's too cold for water sports to be pleasant and
                        too
                        > warm for snow and ice. I've got the spring bulbs and flowers coming up!
                        > EERRGGFRGGHH!
                        > Dave

                      • Dave Raue
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 11, 2000
                          My bones couldn't take it at my advanced age. But the buggying is still
                          OK - as long as seasonal offshore winds don't drag me into the water
                          (happened last march - bbbrrrr!!) )-:
                          > > Thanks for the kind thoughts, but!!!!!!! We no longer have winter!
                          > haven't
                          > > had for 3 or 4 years! It's too cold for water sports to be pleasant and
                          > too
                          > > warm for snow and ice. I've got the spring bulbs and flowers coming up!
                          > > EERRGGFRGGHH!
                          > > Dave

                        • Just Al.
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 12, 2000
                            What do you mean, too cold for water sports...I was out windsurfing
                            yesterday in North Wales....I've had to break the ice to go wondsurfing in
                            lakes before now!!!
                            I was also teaching a beginner to windsurf yesterday (although, he did go
                            a bit blue after a while!), and helping a friend tune a new kite that he'd
                            received (Spider Modulus 38)...Not that I really know what I'm doing, as
                            I've only just got into kiting myself.
                            Just before Xmas I bought a 2.8m Predator Mk II. Flying it (despite having
                            no previous kite flying experience) was a doddle. I've now progressed onto
                            using it as a traction engine for a mountain board on the sands. I'm hoping
                            that the skills learnt doing this will be transferrable to
                            kite-surfing...Has anyone else here used mountain boards as a learning or
                            practice platform for kite-surfing??...How transferrable are the skills?

                            Also,...Line Lengths. I've noticed that kite-surfers tend to use much
                            longer (30-40m) lines than people use in other kite traction activities
                            (20-30m)...How much difference do longer lines actually make? i.e. My
                            Predator 2.8m produces enough power for me at the moment in 15kts of wind
                            with 75ft lines.If I used 100ft lines in 10kts, would it produce a similar
                            amount of power???

                            Cheers,
                            Al.

                            06:02 PM 1/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
                            >Thanks for the kind thoughts, but!!!!!!! We no longer have winter! haven't
                            >had for 3 or 4 years! It's too cold for water sports to be pleasant and too
                            >warm for snow and ice. I've got the spring bulbs and flowers coming up!
                            >EERRGGFRGGHH!
                            >Dave

                            Alan R. Cole
                            Postgraduate Research Student
                            Institute of Geography and Earth Studies
                            University of Wales
                            Aberystwyth
                            Ceredigion
                            SY23 3DB
                            (01970) 621523 Daytime only
                            (07974) 392605 24 hr.
                          • Dave Raue
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 12, 2000
                              > What do you mean, too cold for water sports...I was out windsurfing
                              > yesterday in North Wales....I've had to break the ice to go wondsurfing in
                              > lakes before now!!!

                              Probably I'd be out there too, truth be told - but I'm too busy gearing up
                              for massive experimentation at Cabarete. Can't wait!

                              --- snip
                              > using it as a traction engine for a mountain board on the sands. I'm
                              hoping
                              > that the skills learnt doing this will be transferrable to
                              > kite-surfing...Has anyone else here used mountain boards as a learning or
                              > practice platform for kite-surfing??...How transferrable are the skills?

                              Not sure, but my guess would be VERY transferable. One big difference
                              though - I assume that you don't want to be overpowered on a mountain board.
                              I was coming from buggying and one of my biggest learning blocks with
                              kitesurfing was getting comfortable with the power that you need. There
                              are some mountainboarders on the kitesurf list I think.

                              > Also,...Line Lengths. I've noticed that kite-surfers tend to use much
                              > longer (30-40m) lines than people use in other kite traction activities
                              > (20-30m)...How much difference do longer lines actually make? i.e. My
                              > Predator 2.8m produces enough power for me at the moment in 15kts of wind
                              > with 75ft lines. If I used 100ft lines in 10kts, would it produce a
                              similar
                              > amount of power???

                              It might, but you need to use the length to sweep around more to generate
                              the power. Lines make a big difference, tho I can't make precise
                              comparisons like x' lines on y kite in z wind = whatever. For kitesurfing
                              longer lines allow you to stay in the power zone correspondingly longer.
                              Also slows things down, so it can be easier to control a small kite. At
                              some point you get to diminishing returns with increased drag and hassle.
                              Also, kitesurfing doesn't need the fine, precise control that you want on
                              land, you basically just want to rip. On land you also need to think about
                              things like power lines and other objects, so shorter is more practical.
                              Over water that's less of an issue.

                              Dave