Re: [ksurfschool] Line length puzzle

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
      Split the front line leader into 2 leaders, then you will have one leader line for each flying line.
      This is all you need to correct for the different flying line lengths. You correct for the problem
      by moving the knots on the leader line. It's normal for the lines to stretch and rechecking them
      periodically is normal kite maintenance. I have a nail driven in a post which I connect my lines to.
      I then pull on the bar and check to make sure all lines equal length UNDER TENSION pulling on the
      bar, bar straight.

      Dwight

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
        > Old Lines:
        > 26.40m RedBlack
        > 26.49m (+9cm !!!) GreenBlack
        > 26.53m (+4cm) Red
        > 26.59m (+6cm !!) Green
        >
        > New Lines:
        > 26.68m GreenBlack
        > 26.74m (+6cm !!) RedBlack
        > 27.02m (+28cm !!!!!!) Green
        > 27.04m (+2cm) Red
        >
        > I did the measuring twice so the lengths are correct (+/- 1cm).

        These are very interesting numbers! I have seen 10 cm differences but
        never 28 cm (this is almost 1')!

        > Split the front line leader into 2 leaders, then you will have one leader line for each flying line.
        > This is all you need to correct for the different flying line lengths. You correct for the problem
        > by moving the knots on the leader line. It's normal for the lines to stretch and rechecking them

        You don't need 2 center leader lines. Just 1 center leader line with a
        number of knots along the line is OK for the line length adjustment
        purpose.

        The thing I find with 2 center leader lines is that they make it harder
        to make the kite flip over for water relaunch (especially larger kites)
        after one pull on the center leader lines and suddenly release them.

        2 center leader lines is a must if you want to use an inflatable in
        short to very short line length (as I normally do in the winter)

        > periodically is normal kite maintenance. I have a nail driven in a post which I connect my lines to.
        > I then pull on the bar and check to make sure all lines equal length UNDER TENSION pulling on the
        > bar, bar straight.

        I do this all the time too! While this is not exact, it is a good
        approximation of the similarly of the line length (especially left .vs.
        right).

        Also while doing that, try to learn the art of tangling an untangling
        your bar with the lines (4 separate posts are probably better).

        Hung.
      • cfglazier
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
          > ps. I wanted to post this message also to the 'Kitesurf group',
          but I
          > think it's not working properly just now...?!

          Yes this is the second day that it is not working.
          Chris G
        • callum_downie
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
            Yip, dunno whats happening with that group. I managed to logon for a
            bout 10 minutes a few hours ago but then it had a spaz again....

            Callum

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
              There seems to be someone or something strange goes against the
              kitesurfing forums:
              1- First someone posted on alt.sports.kitesurfing that the news group
              will be removed on Jan 31, 2002 (however, I still receive messages from
              the group Feb 1, 2002).
              2- The British Kitesurfing Association web site at www.kitesurfing.org
              is no longer functioning (points to some strange site). The Whois
              record indicates that it was changed on Jan 31, 2002.
              3- The kitesurf group has stopped working since yesterday.

              I hope these are coincidences and the groups will be back working
              normally and also nothing will happen to this group nor the Kitesurfing
              School web site.

              Hung.

              cfglazier wrote:

              > > ps. I wanted to post this message also to the 'Kitesurf group',
              > but I
              > > think it's not working properly just now...?!
              >
              > Yes this is the second day that it is not working.
              > Chris G

            • callum_downie
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                > There seems to be someone or something strange goes against the
                > kitesurfing forums:
                > 1- First someone posted on alt.sports.kitesurfing that the
                >news group
                > will be removed on Jan 31, 2002 (however, I still receive messages
                >from
                > the group Feb 1, 2002).

                I hope the group hasn't gone... there was some great information on
                the group and in the archives...

                Callum
              • callum_downie
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                  Just thought I'd elt you all know the kitesurf group seams to be
                  working again - hold your breath...

                  --- In ksurfschool@y..., "callum_downie" <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
                  > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
                  > > There seems to be someone or something strange goes against the
                  > > kitesurfing forums:
                  > > 1- First someone posted on alt.sports.kitesurfing that the
                  > >news group
                  > > will be removed on Jan 31, 2002 (however, I still receive
                  messages
                  > >from
                  > > the group Feb 1, 2002).
                  >
                  > I hope the group hasn't gone... there was some great information on
                  > the group and in the archives...
                  >
                  > Callum
                • Carlo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4, 2002
                    What you can do is to switch your lines every second day. IE.put your left
                    lines on the right side and right lines on left side. Most people tend to
                    have a strong side, and this should even out your lines.

                    Carlo