Kitescare/mare when dropped bar. Advice?

  • extremesash
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2002
      Hi,

      I've bodydragged a couple of times and had a scare the second time
      when I practiced letting go of the bar. (in water which i now know is
      not recommended)
      The kite lines (6.5m free air 4 line) were tangled in the middle, and
      uncontrollable, so I wound one line in two winds more than the
      others, then continued with the other four lines. The kite still
      managed to launch, so I proceded to crap my dacks as the lines were
      ripped from my fingers. The saftey leash pulled tight though was now
      cought on my harness, so I frantically undid the velcro and untwisted
      it.

      I pulled the bar in and undid the red saftey release (pin thing) and
      wound the rest in, carefull to keep my fingers from getting tangled.
      Eventually I just wound the lines over the whole bar, as it seamed
      easier.
      A couple of guy's came out to help (with 10 meters to go and no
      relaunches since detaching red line) so i decided to let them hold
      the bar while I swam to deflate then detatch the lines. (carefully
      up wind of the lines.)

      It turned out that the green line was somehow knotted within the
      front lines. I'm guessing this occured due to the bar looping over
      it self.

      Questions?
      Was it the bar looping over it self? (or was it some crazy mystery as
      I thought for a while)

      Should I have let the guy's hold the bar while I swam?

      Could I have swam to the kite without the help of the two guy's or
      would it have drifted faster than swimming speed? (15 knot winds)
      Would the bar sink if I did so?

      Should I have swum to shore (35m away) and ran after the kite to
      detatch the lines? (it may have been chomped by the swell and
      tangled a swimmer, though it was a very uncrouded beach)

      Is it always hard to wind in a kite in this situation?

      Do people use saftey knives?

      Am I a stupid head?

      I was with another kitesurfer though he didn't realize my situation.
      I now fully realize the time for this to happen is in a lesson.

      I also realize i should have wound it in a full kite length.

      Any comments are welcome.

      Thanks in advance,

      Sasha (Mr)
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2002
        extremesash <extremesash@...> wrote:

        > I've bodydragged a couple of times and had a scare the second time
        > when I practiced letting go of the bar. (in water which i now know is
        > not recommended)

        Actually I highly recommend it, but not while riding. Find an area where
        you can try it standing in waist-deep water, with the kite over water
        (doesn't matter how shallow under the kite), & of course nobody downwind,
        except a helper (also highly recommended).

        > The kite lines (6.5m free air 4 line) were tangled in the middle, and
        > uncontrollable, ...
        > It turned out that the green line was somehow knotted within the
        > front lines. I'm guessing this occured due to the bar looping over
        > it self.
        >
        > Questions?
        > Was it the bar looping over it self? (or was it some crazy mystery as
        > I thought for a while)

        I can't help you there, as I'm unfamiliar with that control system.
        Somebody else here should be able to though.

        > Could I have swam to the kite without the help of the two guy's or
        > would it have drifted faster than swimming speed? (15 knot winds)
        > Would the bar sink if I did so?

        No, to both. An inflatable kite will drift downwind quite quickly. Both
        the stock bar AND the lines float.

        > Is it always hard to wind in a kite in this situation?

        Kind of, but it gets easier with practice.

        > ...I wound one line in two winds more than the
        > others, ...
        > I also realize i should have wound it in a full kite length.

        You got that right! (now).

        > Any comments are welcome.

        Consider it a lesson learned cheaply.

        Mel
      • raderwin
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2002
          I also have had an free air 4 line, and when you let go of your bar,
          the lines allways got tangled and it was impossible to relaunch.
          After a while I noticed that in stead of just letting go, you better
          throw away the bar ( forward and away from the side where your leash
          is fixed)
          This way the chance your lines get tangled is far less.

          RadE