Re: Advice on ARC setup/line length/chicen loop/steering doublers

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2002
      I have a self-correction to make: while riding today (older, wedged 1120) I pulled all the way in on my bar, & the lines seemed pretty close to the very same length give or take an inch or two (the backs were NOT 6" longer, as I'd originally posted). One caution here: I don't know how much my lines may have stretched, although they've probably stretched fairly equally, with 600s on the front & 300s on the back. Bottom line: If it's stalling when you don't want it to, lengthen the rears (or shorten the fronts), & if it's NOT stalling when you DO want it to (launching & landing), SHORTEN the rears (or LENGTHEN the fronts).

      In other words, I nearly never adjust, & my range is from all lines equal length (sheeted all the way in, with the bar touching my body), all the way out to having the back lines about 2 feet longer than the fronts (sheeted all the way out, at arm's reach). I find this setting works well for riding over nearly the entire wind range, as well as stopped on the beach & backing it down.

      That reminds me of another self-correction (really more of an "update"): Lately I've been launching dead downwind by just sheeting in with the bar (making the lines all roughly equal length), instead of grabbing the back leaders for extra braking ability. It seems to work fine, even today when I was fairly powered up. It was so windy that the kite was over 3/4 inflated by the time I'd quickly unwound my lines & slipped on my booties. Yet when I pulled back on the bar, stepped back to dump the sand off the TE, I was able to stop the kite (or even reverse it backwards) just by pulling in on the bar, at any point from the ground up to zenith. I'm going to do further testing though, before deleting my recommendation to grab the rear leaders to launch.