  • pluvious2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2002
      I'm a brand newbie, having just scored (not yet delivered) my first
      kite, a PL 1120 (thanks largely to the
      informative, robust debate on
      arcs in this ng), which I'm teaching myself to
      fly (blame it on stubborn Yankee self reliance!) in anticipation of
      hitting the water in the spring, so forgive me if I ask a couple
      obvious questions: Initial setup of kite: I've read that the kites must
      have proper brake line tension to launch and fly properly, without
      backing down. One post suggested setting up the rear lines at least 6"
      longer than the front main lines (with the mains and the chicken loop
      up against the bar and the depower strap fully extended) then using the
      strap to adjust for sufficient brake tension. Is this about right? As a
      first time flier, how should I determine these (absolute) line lengths
      for initial launch? Simply by equalizing all line lengths once tension
      is applied to bar (with strap all the way out?). I like the thought of
      easing the kite up until I'm more familiar with it's flying
      characteristics. Any pointers?

      As I'll be testing out and familiarizing myself with the kite in light
      winds, is there a preferred method of inflating the kite? In light
      winds it doesn't seem like simply opening the velcro flap will be
      enough, and I'm a bit mystified as to the "stand on one tip and hold
      the other tip over your head.

      Steering doublers (rings or pullys). In theory, these seem great to me,
      and easy to set up as well. My question is, if this setup is
      manifestly superior for flying larger kites (like the 1120), why don't
      the manufacturers (in my case PL), ship the kites with this
      configuration? Also, are rings and pullys equal in this instance?

      Chicken loop. I understand the theory on these, but, obviously, am
      totally inexperienced in their use. Am I doing myself any serious
      disservice by skipping the chicken loop, at least for now?

      Snap shackles: it seems like these are a must for emergency release
      once in the harness or chicken loop. If I skip the chicken loop, for
      now, do I need to install one on the main loop? My (windsurfing)
      harness has a release on it, but I assume that that will not be
      suffucient for kitesurfing.

      NYC greenhorn sends thanks in advance for any and all responses.