Re: [ksurfschool] for a beginner: directional board?

  • Martyn_Gilson-1@sbphrd.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 22, 2000
      Tell me more about kiting with a wake board. It seems to be the way to go for
      it's simplicity and ease of jumping.
      What are the pros and cons?

      I assume that they should only be used in higher winds. How does the technique
      differ when using a wake board?

      What about upwind ability?

      They are cheaper and probably more durable than kiteboards (probably more on the
      second hand market too), does anyone have any experience with them?

      nice one, thanks

      hungvu@... on 22-Jun-2000 01:41

      Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

      To: ksurfschool
      cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
      Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] for a beginner: directional board?

      Andy Sewell wrote:
      > Also, I
    • Farnsworth, Kenny
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 22, 2000
        I agree 100% with Paul and Andy. The most important thing about taking
        lessons is the safety issues. You will learn how to fly the kite safely. I
        had so many "near misses" before I took a lesson. I wish I had taken a
        lesson before even trying to kite surf. I had to rid some bad habits at my
        first lesson. I was also able to try different boards and kites. I bought
        a 5'8" Lightwave Wake-N-Style board (long wakeboard style), I tried it for
        the first time today. It was so much more fun to ride than a directional.
        It was easy to put the board on edge and just cruise across the lake.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 22, 2000
          Martyn,

          There are several type of wakeboards available for kitesurfing. I own a
          regular Blindside 131 cm wakeboard, a Liquid Force 142cm Picklefork, and a
          173 cm Lightwave Wake-N-Style. To ride the shorter boards you need to be
          more powered up. I think that a short wakeboard is actually more difficult
          to learn on, while a long wakeboard style board is easier to learn on than a
          directional. The reason a short wakeboard is more difficult is that you
          need more power, and it is easier to get out of position when you are in the
          water - this can lead to some dramatic underwater drags. I am still a
          beginner, so I really prefer my Wake-N-Style over my short wakeboards & my
          directional board. As I progress, my preference may change.

          Wakeboards are great because you don't have to learn how to jibe. You just
          slow down and fly the kite the opposite direction.

          To: ksurfschool

          http://click.egroups.com/1/2658/12/_/60094/_/961662248/
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 22, 2000
            Kenny,

            How low a wind can you go (or have you gone) out with the 173 cm
            Wake-N-Style?

            Hung.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 22, 2000
              Hung,

              I checked the wind speed this morning right before I jumped on the board.
              The wind was steady at 9 - 11 mph, there was just a minor ripple on the
              water, no waves at all. I was had excellent power with my 9.3M Concept Air
              New Wave.

              "Farnsworth, Kenny" wrote:

              > Martyn,
              >
              > There are several type of wakeboards available for kitesurfing. I own a
              > regular Blindside 131 cm wakeboard, a Liquid Force 142cm Picklefork, and a
              > 173 cm Lightwave Wake-N-Style. To ride the shorter boards you need to be
              > more powered up. I think that a short wakeboard is actually more
              difficult
              > to learn on, while a long wakeboard style board is easier to learn on than
              > directional. The reason a short wakeboard is more difficult is that you
              > need more power, and it is easier to get out of position when you are in
              the
              > water - this can lead to some dramatic underwater drags. I am still a
              > beginner, so I really prefer my Wake-N-Style over my short wakeboards & my
              > directional board. As I progress, my preference may change.
              >
              > Wakeboards are great because you don't have to learn how to jibe. You
              just
              > slow down and fly the kite the opposite direction.
              >
              > Kenny

              1 out of 3 have it and they don't know it.
              ARE YOU AT RISK?
              http://click.egroups.com/1/5601/12/_/60094/_/961704144/
            • Colin Gowland
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 22, 2000
                Hi Kenny,

                Can you describe some of these for those of us who haven't been able to get
                lessons?

                Kind Regards,
                Colin

              • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 22, 2000
                  Colin,

                  If you can't take a lesson, buy the video "Kiteboarding: How to Rip." It
                  will help you with some of the safety issues. Below were some of my bad
                  habits:

                  1. Looking down at the harness when hooking into my kite. You can easily
                  hook in without looking down. When you first learn, you really need to focus
                  on flying the kite.

                  2. You need to know the 5 ways to depower a kite and commit yourself to
                  following the steps in an emergency.
                  1. Let go of the control bar (if you are wearing a safety leash, please
                  always wear a safety leash).
                  2. Pull in one line the length of the kite to depower the line. If you have
                  a 3 line foil, pull in the brake line to depower the kite.
                  3. On Naish or Wipika kites there is a release on one line that releases the
                  entire line from the control bar.
                  4. Release the safety leash from your wrist
                  5. Cut the lines if you are still entangled.

                  3. Not pointing my foot when trying to get up on the board. You need to
                  point your front foot and the board should be headed downwind somewhat.

                  4. Dropping my kite on the beach with no one around when I was finished
                  kiting. Your best bet is to drop the kite in the water. Depower the kite by
                  pulling in one line the same length as the kite and then wrapping the rest of
                  the line around the control bar. When you reach the kite, fold it up if it
                  is a foil. If it is an inflatible you can grasp both ends of the kite to
                  form a "C" shape and the kite will take you into the beach.

                  5. Pulling the kite line towards me when I had a problem with the kite on
                  the water. Follow the description above to prevent serious entanglement in
                  the lines.

                  6. Not properly securing my Naish Safety Leash (the snap has to be snapped in
                  place). I recommend replacing your Naish Control Bar with an AirRush bar.
                  The AirRush has a superior safety release and I personally like the feel of
                  the AirRush bar.

                  7. Not leaning back when I am up and planing on the board.

                  The nice thing about a lesson is that an instructor can see your bad habits
                  and correct them. I plan on getting another lesson when I reach the next
                  level.

                  Kenny

                  Can you describe some of these for those of us who haven't been able to get
                  lessons?

                  Kind Regards,
                  Colin

                  > I had to rid some bad habits at my