Re: [ksurfschool] Jumping and kite locking

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2002
      Mel wrote:

      > Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:
      >
      > > It's common knowledge in kitesurfing that to jump, the wind must be
      > > strong enough (or the kite has to be big enough) for one to lock the
      > > kite in the forward moving direction (or a very small sine).
      > >
      > > Amazingly, the same jumping rule seem to apply for kiteskiing on snow or
      > > ice (even with much less wind and kite power).
      > >
      > > I haven't yet figured out why such coincidence. Anyone?
      >
      > Maybe that's the lower limit of kite total airspeed (real plus apparent) to
      > make it turn back quickly enough to jump.

      Sounds reasonable. Definitely it's the kite airspeed that counts and not
      the wind speed.

      I went out kiteskiing this afternoon towing my daughter. I could jump
      alone but definitely not when I towed her (of course I did not try to
      jump while towing but felt I could not jump even if I wanted to).

      So the extra drag reduce the total airspeed of the kite and make it
      un-jumpable.

      Now we need to understand what is that "minimum" airspeed required for
      jumping...

      P.S., Kiteskiing is a great family sport... The kids just LOVE it; much
      more than going to the hills (due to kiteskiing non-stop action)...