Kiteskiing during Christmas holiday's

  • jonnykitesurfer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2002
      whent out 4 days at the end of Dec with my Concept Air New Wave 9.0

      with 10 to 30 meter lines set-up on icy snow with 12 to 20 kms winds.

      First time kiteskiing ever , what a blast. Cant jump yet with these

      conditions maybe when i try with my snowboard in powder. On last day

      got way over powered with 25 kms and 10 meter lines , being pulled

      sideways cant edge any more . So i ordered new Concept Air EX 4.8

      open cell with handles , should get it mid Jan. Is this a good kite

      and size for snowboarding. What would be the wind range for this setup

      i'm 150 lbs. Can i use 10 ,20 ,30 meter lines depending on wind .

      Is 10 meters to short for a high performance ram air with handles?

      For guys in Ottawa ( kitesurfschool club) waiting for lakes and river

      to freeze over i do have permission on a private field near town

      (field 3km by 3km) will trade and could ask permission for more local

      guys to use it if some of you experience kiters could help me with

      good jumping training and any more tip you can help me with .

      E-Mail me. It would be so cool to kite with others this winter.

      Jonnykitesurfer Thanks for any help and reply's.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2002
        Claude,

        Check http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/kiteskiing.htm for a table of
        wind range of the various kites I use for kiteskiing. I normally use the
        XXXL from 4-8 knots ( 7 - 15 km/h) for kiteskiing so your experience
        with the New Wave 9.3 up to 25 km/h is reasonable.

        From New Wave 9.3 you may want to jump down to EX's 6.0

        P.S., The lake is safe by now (you can see the snowmobile in the shallow
        sections). Our "club" meet every Saturday afternoon at Britannia from
        2:00 PM. See you then.

        P.P.S., If you want to check out other portions of the lake or other
        lakes, remember that ice around 10 cm thick is safe enough for
        kiteskiing (dig a hole in the ice with an axe to check it out).

        Hung.