Re: [ksurfschool] Jumping and kite locking

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
      Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

      > It's common knowledge in kitesurfing that to jump, the wind must be
      > strong enough (or the kite has to be big enough) for one to lock the
      > kite in the forward moving direction (or a very small sine).
      >
      > Amazingly, the same jumping rule seem to apply for kiteskiing on snow or
      > ice (even with much less wind and kite power).
      >
      > I haven't yet figured out why such coincidence. Anyone?

      Maybe that's the lower limit of kite total airspeed (real plus apparent) to
      make it turn back quickly enough to jump.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2002
        Mel wrote:

        > Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:
        >
        > > It's common knowledge in kitesurfing that to jump, the wind must be
        > > strong enough (or the kite has to be big enough) for one to lock the
        > > kite in the forward moving direction (or a very small sine).
        > >
        > > Amazingly, the same jumping rule seem to apply for kiteskiing on snow or
        > > ice (even with much less wind and kite power).
        > >
        > > I haven't yet figured out why such coincidence. Anyone?
        >
        > Maybe that's the lower limit of kite total airspeed (real plus apparent) to
        > make it turn back quickly enough to jump.

        Sounds reasonable. Definitely it's the kite airspeed that counts and not
        the wind speed.

        I went out kiteskiing this afternoon towing my daughter. I could jump
        alone but definitely not when I towed her (of course I did not try to
        jump while towing but felt I could not jump even if I wanted to).

        So the extra drag reduce the total airspeed of the kite and make it
        un-jumpable.

        Now we need to understand what is that "minimum" airspeed required for
        jumping...

        P.S., Kiteskiing is a great family sport... The kids just LOVE it; much
        more than going to the hills (due to kiteskiing non-stop action)...