Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Jumping on ice!

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2002
      Kenny,

      It's common knowledge that it's easiest and safest to jump on water,
      slight harder to jump on deep snow and hardest on ice or almost ice (the
      softer the water is, the easier and safer it is to jump!).

      However, jumping on ice is not as difficult nor as scary as it sounds.

      Try to make use of your forward speed more (to build up the line
      tension) and jump unhooked. Jumping unhooked allow you to control the
      height of the jump more (by reducing or increasing the line tension with
      your arms) and the landing is both easier and more natural (you also has
      a full body height plus your arm length to absorb any landing impact).

      Once you know how to get lifted with so little kite power and land
      smoothly, the rest is the same.

      So the next time you are "stuck" with some icy playground, want to go
      extremely fast and getting some air at
      the same time, give it a try, just do it gradually (small jump first
      then bigger jump, etc.)

      P.S., I don't recommend jumping on ice unless one already know how to
      jump on water and deep snow...

      Hung.

      fernmanus wrote:

      > Jumping over ice is an art form, but a painful one if you blow the
      > jump. Jumping over snow is much more fun. Kite skiing or
      > snowboarding on a snow field is more similar to kite surfing on the
      > water than riding on ice. 1. You can ride more powered up because
      > deep snow causes more friction. 2. You can jump higher and use a
      > bigger kite. 3. You can build jumps or use natural berms as a
      > ramp. 4. It is a heck of a lot easier to ride toeside on snow.
      >
      > Ice is better for speed, snow is better for jumps.
      >
      > You can use a tube kite on snow. Tube kites aren't great on ice
      > because the ice can damage the kite and they are more difficult to
      > relaunch.
      >
      > Skis make more sense on ice. A snowboard is the way to go on snow.
      >
      > Kenny
      >
      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
      > > Getting bore with going on ice very fast (too fast 8-), I start
      > > jumping...
      > >
      > > Since you are normally having much less power kiteskiing on ice than
      > > kitesurfing, jumping become an art...
      > >
      > > You need to make use of the forward speed more and perfect landing
      > is a
      > > MUST...
      > >
      > > On ice, it's better to jump unhooked...
      > >
      > > Go for it,
      > >
      > > P.S., I was using the Concept Air EX's opened cell 6.0 m2 (going at
      > 3
      > > times the wind speed easily) and don't think I can jump with a
      > slower
      > > kite.
      > >
      > > Hung.

    • fernmanus
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2002
        Hung,

        I agree with you. I have only one caveat, in gusty conditions,
        jumping over ice can be painful. I live in an area where the wind is
        rarely steady. We rarely have conditions that would allow for
        jumping over ice, the wind is just too flukey to accurately judge the
        heighth and length of every jump.

        Snow landings can be as good or better compared to water if the snow
        is deep enough.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/