RE: [ksurfschool] Re: Kite Selection

  • Farnsworth, Kenny
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2000
      Paul,

      Mark's advice is good. I just want to clarify a couple points. You can
      learn on a surfboard, but don't plan on getting any air with a surfboard, a
      surfboard is not built rugged enough. You will also have a more difficult
      time going upwind. However, if you are just learning to stand up and ride a
      surfboard will be adequate.

      As far as kite selection goes, you will need a very large kite unless the
      wind speed is a bit higher. My largest kite is a 9.3 meter Concept Air New
      Wave Kite. I am able to start kite surfing with around 8 - 10 mph winds,
      but 12 mph is preferable. I weigh 175 LBS. If the wind is over 14 mph I
      move to a smaller kite. I can honestly recommend the Concept Air because I
      have used it (You can read an earlier post on e-groups for a more through
      review). I also have a good friend that is using a Naish 11.5, he just
      purchased a 13.5 and he is considering the 15.5. He likes the Naish and I
      have seen him out surfing when the windsurfers have all packed it in due to
      light wind. I am not going to recommend any other kites because I have not
      tried them. Does anyone else have a big kite that they want to recommend?