Re: Digest Number 502

  • fernmanus
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
      Doug,

      I also love light wind. I have a Wipika 16.4 AB and a Flysurfer 16M
      Mast Air. I used to have a 21.5 ARX, but I hated it because it was
      so slow. I understand the Power booster bridle solves this problem.

      First of all, don't be afraid of the big kites. I love my 16.4 AB.
      I sometimes ride it in 15 mph winds with my small board just because
      I can jump so high and so far with that monster. It is also an
      amazing feeling to be riding on near flat water. You need a big kite
      to do that.

      I use the 181 Lightwave and the 16.4 in really light winds. I can
      ride in 8 mph winds with that configuration and start jumping around
      12 mph (I weight 175 LBS).

      I haven't tried the Flysurfer on the water yet. I have only tried it
      once on snow. I was able to go upwind on my snowboard in 7 mph
      winds. It is definitely worth looking at because it has an excellent
      depower system. However, it is not cheap. If I were going to
      recommend a kite to buy today. Buy a 16.4 Airblast. You can get one
      for less than $700 because everyone is blowing out last year's
      kites. Check out www.iwindsurf.com

      I hope that helps.

      Kenny

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Gary Sowell" <garys@m...> wrote:
      > Aloha Doug....
      > I'm 210 pounds and like you, I love the light winds...
      > I have a naish 23.5m ARX and I have a Wipi 16monster...
      > The naish will get you up in the wind range you are looking at...
      > The board I use in winds like this is the lite wave dave 169....
      > Foils are a bit scary to fly when they are that big... I had the
      Mosquito 9+
      > and after having some mishaps with that kite, I will never fly a
      foil again
      > (other than the arc)....
      >
      > Hope this helps...
      >
      > Gary

      I bought
      > > RRD 14.9, the sad truth is I need 12 knots with this kite. I
      weigh 190 lbs
      > > and am riding a 6.6 directional. I understand that foils are
      better than
      > > frame kites in light wind. Can anyone recommend me a foil that
      will get me
      > > powered up in 5-10 knots.Does anyone know if the Peter Lynn 14.0
      > > m ARC ever got released and what kind of performance I can
      expect out of
      > > it.Am I expecting too much? I started kitesurfing because I heard
      about
      > the
      > > light wind possibilities,but now I wonder but Iam hooked now so
      there is
      > no
      > > turning back.
      > > Thanks,
      > > Doug

      __

      __

      > > > Message: 1
      > > > Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:48:34 -0000
      > > > From: "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...>
      > > > Subject: Re: Low AR .vs. high AR
      > > >
      > > > Hung,
      > > >
      > > > Good observations. I wish to add a couple more thoughts.
      > > >
      > > > Where I live the wind is generally light (Salt Lake City, UT).
      > > > Therefore, I use high AR kites. The primary reason is for
      jumping.
      > > > I have found the large high AR kites to be more responsive.
      When you
      > > > jump, the faster you can move the kite overhead, the more pop
      you
      > > > will have off the water. I found it very difficult to jump
      with slow
      > > > moving large kites.
      > > >
      > > > I have kite surfed in high wind conditions as well. In high
      wind
      > > > conditions a low AR is nice because the kite is more stable and
      will
      > > > feel less twitchy.
      > > >
      > > > Kenny

      > > > answered

      > > > pros

      > > > the

      > > > true

      > > > answer...

      __

      __

      > > > Message: 2
      > > > Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 22:34:40 -0500
      > > > From: Hung Vu <hungvu@n...>
      > > > Subject: Re: New Year 2002 predictions
      > > >
      > > > Chris,
      > > >
      > > > Very interesting! Let me add some more:
      > > >
      > > > -- Fins will start to disappear as kitesurfers start to realize
      that
      > > > fins are more costly, cumbersome than helpful
      > > >
      > > > -- With the new finless, properly shaped boards, kitesurfers
      start to go
      > > > as fast as windsurfers
      > > >
      > > > -- Foils will become more popular (than they are now) as they
      are faster
      > > > and jump higher
      > > >
      > > > -- People will realize that by inflating the leading edge with
      helium
      > > > will make inflatables less prone to the "dead seagull drop"
      (hahaha
      > > > someone has asked for it...)
      > > >
      > > > -- Properly shaped finless board will generate higher lift
      allow boards
      > > > to be smaller (120 x 30 cm range) and still ride in lower wind
      > > >
      > > > -- Handles will become more popular (than they are now) in
      lighter wind
      > > > as they are the best to manipulate foils in such extreme
      conditions

      > > > -- Kites will be designed/marketed clearly in three different
      groups:
      > > > light wind, medium wind and high wind kites where low AR
      inflatable
      > > > dominate the high wind group, foils dominate the light wind
      group and
      > > > fierce competition for the medium group for many manufacturers
      > > >
      > > > Hung.
      > > >

      > > > Ok, here's my predictions for kitesurfing next
      year,
      > > > 2002..
      > > >
      > > > -- Next years kites will all have more more
      wind range
      > > > ..because
      > > > that's what we all want.
      > > >
      > > > -- The end of picklefork boards. New board
      shapes will
      > > > have
      > > > more blunt tails.
      > > >
      > > > -- Footstraps will continue to be popular and
      will NOT
      > > > all be
      > > > replaced by full bindings.
      > > >
      > > > -- On new 4 line inflatables, rigid carbon
      battens at
      > > > the tips will
      > > > be common.
      > > >
      > > > -- Better safety release/leash systems will be
      marketed
      > > > (they can't
      > > > be worse than what is available now).
      > > >
      > > > -- All kite manufacturers will agree on a size
      standard
      > > > (ha
      > > > ha ..just kidding with this one).
      > > >
      > > > -- Someone will post a "new" idea to fill an
      inflatable
      > > > with helium
      > > > (ughh ..not again).
      > > >
      > > > -- Some products will fade into obscurity like
      reel
      > > > bars, high
      > > > volume boards, and using handles.
      > > >
      > > > -- Kite and board prices will drop somewhat due
      > > > competition
      > > > (..not sure about this one).
      > > >
      > > > -- Kiting will become more mainstream and
      acceptable and
      > > > will NOT be
      > > > banned at many more beaches.
      > > >
      > > > -- The number of kite manufacturers will stop
      growing as
      > > > newcomers
      > > > find it hard to compete against the Naish,
      Wipika,
      > > > Cabrinha,
      > > > Slingshot, Peter Lynn, Airrush, North.
      > > >
      > > > -- Foil kites will do well in the very large
      sizes (over
      > > > 15.5AR5).
      > > >
      > > > -- Kites will come with long lines (>30m) for
      big kite
      > > > sizes and
      > > > shorter lines (<25m) for small kite sizes.
      > > >
      > > > -- Serious accidents will happen where helmet
      use could
      > > > have helped!
      > > >
      > > > -- Someone will break the hang time record with
      over 10