Re: Jumping on ice!

  • fernmanus
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2 4:01 PM
      Jumping over ice is an art form, but a painful one if you blow the
      jump. Jumping over snow is much more fun. Kite skiing or
      snowboarding on a snow field is more similar to kite surfing on the
      water than riding on ice. 1. You can ride more powered up because
      deep snow causes more friction. 2. You can jump higher and use a
      bigger kite. 3. You can build jumps or use natural berms as a
      ramp. 4. It is a heck of a lot easier to ride toeside on snow.

      Ice is better for speed, snow is better for jumps.

      You can use a tube kite on snow. Tube kites aren't great on ice
      because the ice can damage the kite and they are more difficult to
      relaunch.

      Skis make more sense on ice. A snowboard is the way to go on snow.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3 6:39 AM
        Kenny,

        It's common knowledge that it's easiest and safest to jump on water,
        slight harder to jump on deep snow and hardest on ice or almost ice (the
        softer the water is, the easier and safer it is to jump!).

        However, jumping on ice is not as difficult nor as scary as it sounds.

        Try to make use of your forward speed more (to build up the line
        tension) and jump unhooked. Jumping unhooked allow you to control the
        height of the jump more (by reducing or increasing the line tension with
        your arms) and the landing is both easier and more natural (you also has
        a full body height plus your arm length to absorb any landing impact).

        Once you know how to get lifted with so little kite power and land
        smoothly, the rest is the same.

        So the next time you are "stuck" with some icy playground, want to go
        extremely fast and getting some air at
        the same time, give it a try, just do it gradually (small jump first
        then bigger jump, etc.)

        P.S., I don't recommend jumping on ice unless one already know how to
        jump on water and deep snow...

        Hung.

        fernmanus wrote:

        > Jumping over ice is an art form, but a painful one if you blow the
        > jump. Jumping over snow is much more fun. Kite skiing or
        > snowboarding on a snow field is more similar to kite surfing on the
        > water than riding on ice. 1. You can ride more powered up because
        > deep snow causes more friction. 2. You can jump higher and use a
        > bigger kite. 3. You can build jumps or use natural berms as a
        > ramp. 4. It is a heck of a lot easier to ride toeside on snow.
        >
        > Ice is better for speed, snow is better for jumps.
        >
        > You can use a tube kite on snow. Tube kites aren't great on ice
        > because the ice can damage the kite and they are more difficult to
        > relaunch.
        >
        > Skis make more sense on ice. A snowboard is the way to go on snow.
        >
        > Kenny
        >
        > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
        > > Getting bore with going on ice very fast (too fast 8-), I start
        > > jumping...
        > >
        > > Since you are normally having much less power kiteskiing on ice than
        > > kitesurfing, jumping become an art...
        > >
        > > You need to make use of the forward speed more and perfect landing
        > is a
        > > MUST...
        > >
        > > On ice, it's better to jump unhooked...
        > >
        > > Go for it,
        > >
        > > P.S., I was using the Concept Air EX's opened cell 6.0 m2 (going at
        > 3
        > > times the wind speed easily) and don't think I can jump with a
        > slower
        > > kite.
        > >
        > > Hung.

      • fernmanus
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3 8:12 AM
          Hung,

          I agree with you. I have only one caveat, in gusty conditions,
          jumping over ice can be painful. I live in an area where the wind is
          rarely steady. We rarely have conditions that would allow for
          jumping over ice, the wind is just too flukey to accurately judge the
          heighth and length of every jump.

          Snow landings can be as good or better compared to water if the snow
          is deep enough.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/