Low AR .vs. high AR

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2001
      Many people worldwide have asked me these questions and I have answered
      many. I thought it would be useful to post them here:

      Use a low AR kite in high wind (above 20 knots)

      Use a high AR kite in low wind (below 10 knots)

      Between 10 - 20 knots use anything you have...

      So if you live in Maui or other high wind destinations (where most pros
      are), don't need to buy a high AR kite.

      If you live in Ottawa, Canada, buy both high AR and low AR kite as the
      wind can be anywhere between 5 - 45 knots.

      P.S. the assumption is that high AR kites are faster, it may not be true
      for some kites...

      P.P.S. If you kiteski or want to go fast, high AR is the only answer...

      P.P.P.S. What the pros want may not be what YOU want...

      Hung.
    • fernmanus
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2001
        Hung,

        Good observations. I wish to add a couple more thoughts.

        Where I live the wind is generally light (Salt Lake City, UT).
        Therefore, I use high AR kites. The primary reason is for jumping.
        I have found the large high AR kites to be more responsive. When you
        jump, the faster you can move the kite overhead, the more pop you
        will have off the water. I found it very difficult to jump with slow
        moving large kites.

        I have kite surfed in high wind conditions as well. In high wind
        conditions a low AR is nice because the kite is more stable and will
        feel less twitchy.