Re: Setting up an RRD type iv

  • fernmanus
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
      Callum,

      I have a RRD 11.9 and a 8.4 AB. The 11.9 does fly slower than the
      8.4 AB, but the bar load is greater as well. As long as you don't
      mind working your forearms, the 11.9 should be a great kite for you.
      It is a stable, well-built kite. I think you just need some more
      wind.

      Kenny

    • callum_downie
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
        Hey Kenny, thanks for the reply.

        Had the 11.9 out yesterday arvo in gusty winds from about 12 to 28
        knots. Feels like an awesome kite when powered up!! The little bar
        I have on it makes it really hard to turn when it wasn't so powerd,
        it made signing the kite through some of the bigger holes hard... I
        might need a slightly longer bar. I'll fly it a few more times before
        I make a decission on that!

        I would put the bar load at about 2 1/2 times as much as the
        airblasts, I'm either going to have to take me spinnache and get some
        pop eye forearms or used a bungy I think!!

        Thanks

        Callum

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...> wrote:
        > Callum,
        >
        > I have a RRD 11.9 and a 8.4 AB. The 11.9 does fly slower than the
        > 8.4 AB, but the bar load is greater as well. As long as you don't
        > mind working your forearms, the 11.9 should be a great kite for
        you.
        > It is a stable, well-built kite. I think you just need some more
        > wind.
        >
        > Kenny
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
          callum_downie <callum_downie@...> wrote:

          > I would put the bar load at about 2 1/2 times as much as the
          > airblasts, I'm either going to have to take me spinnache and get some
          > pop eye forearms or used a bungy I think!!

          Bungees are great, but also keep in mind it's pretty easy to set up a "power
          booster" bridle (just add a pulley & a bit of line), like on your AirBlast,
          but without the reverse launch option.

          Mel
        • callum_downie
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
            --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
            > callum_downie <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
            >
            > > I would put the bar load at about 2 1/2 times as much as the
            > > airblasts, I'm either going to have to take me spinnache and get
            some
            > > pop eye forearms or used a bungy I think!!
            >
            > Bungees are great, but also keep in mind it's pretty easy to set up
            a "power
            > booster" bridle (just add a pulley & a bit of line), like on your
            AirBlast,
            > but without the reverse launch option.

            Yeah, that thought has passed my mind, I like to call it the power
            steering bridal because thats what it basicly is.... it is very
            tempting, I like only being in the chicken loop....

            Cheers
            Callum
          • callum_downie
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
              If I rig a bridal I'll ahve to change the leaseh to be a front line
              leash as well won't I?

              Cheers
              Callum

              --- In ksurfschool@y..., "callum_downie" <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
              > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
              > > callum_downie <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > I would put the bar load at about 2 1/2 times as much as the
              > > > airblasts, I'm either going to have to take me spinnache and
              get
              > some
              > > > pop eye forearms or used a bungy I think!!
              > >
              > > Bungees are great, but also keep in mind it's pretty easy to set
              up
              > a "power
              > > booster" bridle (just add a pulley & a bit of line), like on your
              > AirBlast,
              > > but without the reverse launch option.
              >
              > Yeah, that thought has passed my mind, I like to call it the power
              > steering bridal because thats what it basicly is.... it is very
              > tempting, I like only being in the chicken loop....
              >
              > Cheers
              > Callum
            • Dwight & Jacky
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
                Yes

                > If I rig a bridal I'll ahve to change the leaseh to be a front line
                > leash as well won't I?
                >
                > Cheers
                > Callum
              • Mel
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 14, 2001
                  But it's very simple. Just tie a stainless O-ring to the top of the center
                  leader/adjustment. Then tie one front leader/line directly to that O-ring.
                  Take the second front leader/line, & feed it through the O-ring, & tie it to
                  a second O-ring. Add a plastic stopper ring a kitespan up the second front
                  line*. Now just make a short leash to connect from the lower ring to your
                  harness (or wrist).
                  *Instructional photo sequence coming soon to a kitesurf group file near you!