Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [ksurfschool] Setting up an RRD type iv

Expand Messages
  • Mel
    ... I ve got quite a bit of experience with the Type IV, but in the 8.9 size. The best tip I can give you is that you want to be able to go all the way from
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 12, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      callum_downie <callum_downie@...> wrote:

      > I brought an RRD Type iv 11.9 ...
      > ...
      > I have set it up so the lines are even when I have the fixed power
      > adjuster in the middle (so i can either make the front line shorter
      > or longer from there) and so I am in the trim loop with the bar at a
      > comfortable distance from my body. Does this sound alright?

      I've got quite a bit of experience with the Type IV, but in the 8.9 size.
      The best tip I can give you is that you want to be able to go all the way
      from slack back lines (when fully powered up) to slack FRONT lines. If
      you're in the trim loop, it's most comfortable to ride with your waist &
      arms straight, & ideally you want to be able to set the adjustment strap to
      accomplish that while maintaining full power in the current conditions.
      Other than that, measuring the leaders can be quite misleading, since the
      front lines usually stretch quite a bit more than the rears.

      > I have only flown the kite about 4 times and each time the wind has
      > been dying. I found the kite had very little pull...

      I assume you're already aware that the 11.9 is MUCH smaller than your 11.8
      (less than 3/4 the size). I got the most power out of my 8.9 with the front
      lines slack, except that makes it harder to "work", so for very light winds
      I'd actually adjust for slightly less power, since then it can actually
      GENERATE more power by "sining" up & down.

      > and was extremely
      > hard to turn. The bar is extremely short (don't know how short
      > sorry) but it is less than my shoulder width....

      Mine came with a rather short bar too. When you say "hard", do you mean you
      were moving the bar a lot, with little effect? If that's the case, a longer
      bar should help. Keep in mind that for higher winds you won't WANT it to
      have too much effect.

      > by the way the 11.9 is a high wind kite for me hoping for a range of
      > 18 - 28 knots on my underground dinner tray - I'm 100kg this should
      > be realistic?

      I think you'll find your range to be very close to that (with a few knots
      added to each end, once you get the hang of it).

      Mel
    • callum_downie
      Thanks for your reply Mel, Sounds like I should have it pretty well close to what you said. I actually replaced the center trim line with another one so i
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 12, 2001
      • 0 Attachment
        Thanks for your reply Mel,

        Sounds like I should have it pretty well close to what you said.
        I actually replaced the center trim line with another one so i could
        give myself more sheeting range - beeing taller and having longer
        arms I can give myself more range than what the bar had as standard -
        almost twice as much. Next time I use it I'll check the line lengths
        again to see if they are still even then I'll set it up with even
        presure so I can easily sheet in or out till I get a better feel for
        the kite.

        By being hard to turn, I meant Alot of pulling for not much return,
        and it was hard to pull the bar (used to the bridal steering on the
        11.8 though). I really think and hope this was because the wind had
        dropped too much!!

        Yeah I know the 11.9 is alot smaller than the 11.8 - I brought the
        11.9 thinking it would be similar in power to the 8.4ab, but
        hopefully not as fast!!

        What a crazy crazy mixed up world - the 11.9 being much smaller than
        the 11.8!! Hopefully these manufacturers get there shit sorted -
        doesn't really matter how they measure if they would all do it the
        same that would be a good start!!

        Callum



        --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
        > callum_downie <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
        >
        > > I brought an RRD Type iv 11.9 ...
        > > ...
        > > I have set it up so the lines are even when I have the fixed power
        > > adjuster in the middle (so i can either make the front line
        shorter
        > > or longer from there) and so I am in the trim loop with the bar
        at a
        > > comfortable distance from my body. Does this sound alright?
        >
        > I've got quite a bit of experience with the Type IV, but in the 8.9
        size.
        > The best tip I can give you is that you want to be able to go all
        the way
        > from slack back lines (when fully powered up) to slack FRONT
        lines. If
        > you're in the trim loop, it's most comfortable to ride with your
        waist &
        > arms straight, & ideally you want to be able to set the adjustment
        strap to
        > accomplish that while maintaining full power in the current
        conditions.
        > Other than that, measuring the leaders can be quite misleading,
        since the
        > front lines usually stretch quite a bit more than the rears.
        >
        > > I have only flown the kite about 4 times and each time the wind
        has
        > > been dying. I found the kite had very little pull...
        >
        > I assume you're already aware that the 11.9 is MUCH smaller than
        your 11.8
        > (less than 3/4 the size). I got the most power out of my 8.9 with
        the front
        > lines slack, except that makes it harder to "work", so for very
        light winds
        > I'd actually adjust for slightly less power, since then it can
        actually
        > GENERATE more power by "sining" up & down.
        >
        > > and was extremely
        > > hard to turn. The bar is extremely short (don't know how short
        > > sorry) but it is less than my shoulder width....
        >
        > Mine came with a rather short bar too. When you say "hard", do you
        mean you
        > were moving the bar a lot, with little effect? If that's the case,
        a longer
        > bar should help. Keep in mind that for higher winds you won't
        WANT it to
        > have too much effect.
        >
        > > by the way the 11.9 is a high wind kite for me hoping for a range
        of
        > > 18 - 28 knots on my underground dinner tray - I'm 100kg this
        should
        > > be realistic?
        >
        > I think you'll find your range to be very close to that (with a few
        knots
        > added to each end, once you get the hang of it).
        >
        > Mel
      • Mel
        ... Bar load was even a bit more than my AR5, but it never bothered me, since I just used a shorter bar (similar to what s supplied), & still jumped higher &
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 12, 2001
        • 0 Attachment
          callum_downie <callum_downie@...> wrote:

          > By being hard to turn, I meant Alot of pulling for not much return,
          > and it was hard to pull the bar (used to the bridal steering on the
          > 11.8 though). I really think and hope this was because the wind had
          > dropped too much!!

          Bar load was even a bit more than my AR5, but it never bothered me, since I
          just used a shorter bar (similar to what's supplied), & still jumped higher
          & pointed higher. I didn't care that I had to be in the bungee harness line
          a bit more.

          > Yeah I know the 11.9 is alot smaller than the 11.8 - I brought the
          > 11.9 thinking it would be similar in power to the 8.4ab, but
          > hopefully not as fast!!

          I found the 8.9 to be much more stable (less "twichy") than the AR5.

          > What a crazy crazy mixed up world - the 11.9 being much smaller than
          > the 11.8!! Hopefully these manufacturers get there shit sorted -
          > doesn't really matter how they measure if they would all do it the
          > same that would be a good start!!

          No kidding!! Even the North 16 is smaller than the 11.8!!

          Mel
        • fernmanus
          Callum, I have a RRD 11.9 and a 8.4 AB. The 11.9 does fly slower than the 8.4 AB, but the bar load is greater as well. As long as you don t mind working your
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
          • 0 Attachment
            Callum,

            I have a RRD 11.9 and a 8.4 AB. The 11.9 does fly slower than the
            8.4 AB, but the bar load is greater as well. As long as you don't
            mind working your forearms, the 11.9 should be a great kite for you.
            It is a stable, well-built kite. I think you just need some more
            wind.

            Kenny

            --- In ksurfschool@y..., "callum_downie" <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
            > Thanks for your reply Mel,
            >
            > Sounds like I should have it pretty well close to what you said.
            > I actually replaced the center trim line with another one so i
            could
            > give myself more sheeting range - beeing taller and having longer
            > arms I can give myself more range than what the bar had as
            standard -
            > almost twice as much. Next time I use it I'll check the line
            lengths
            > again to see if they are still even then I'll set it up with even
            > presure so I can easily sheet in or out till I get a better feel
            for
            > the kite.
            >
            > By being hard to turn, I meant Alot of pulling for not much return,
            > and it was hard to pull the bar (used to the bridal steering on the
            > 11.8 though). I really think and hope this was because the wind had
            > dropped too much!!
            >
            > Yeah I know the 11.9 is alot smaller than the 11.8 - I brought the
            > 11.9 thinking it would be similar in power to the 8.4ab, but
            > hopefully not as fast!!
            >
            > What a crazy crazy mixed up world - the 11.9 being much smaller
            than
            > the 11.8!! Hopefully these manufacturers get there shit sorted -
            > doesn't really matter how they measure if they would all do it the
            > same that would be a good start!!
            >
            > Callum
            >
            >
            >
            > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
            > > callum_downie <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > I brought an RRD Type iv 11.9 ...
            > > > ...
            > > > I have set it up so the lines are even when I have the fixed
            power
            > > > adjuster in the middle (so i can either make the front line
            > shorter
            > > > or longer from there) and so I am in the trim loop with the bar
            > at a
            > > > comfortable distance from my body. Does this sound alright?
            > >
            > > I've got quite a bit of experience with the Type IV, but in the
            8.9
            > size.
            > > The best tip I can give you is that you want to be able to go all
            > the way
            > > from slack back lines (when fully powered up) to slack FRONT
            > lines. If
            > > you're in the trim loop, it's most comfortable to ride with your
            > waist &
            > > arms straight, & ideally you want to be able to set the
            adjustment
            > strap to
            > > accomplish that while maintaining full power in the current
            > conditions.
            > > Other than that, measuring the leaders can be quite misleading,
            > since the
            > > front lines usually stretch quite a bit more than the rears.
            > >
            > > > I have only flown the kite about 4 times and each time the wind
            > has
            > > > been dying. I found the kite had very little pull...
            > >
            > > I assume you're already aware that the 11.9 is MUCH smaller than
            > your 11.8
            > > (less than 3/4 the size). I got the most power out of my 8.9
            with
            > the front
            > > lines slack, except that makes it harder to "work", so for very
            > light winds
            > > I'd actually adjust for slightly less power, since then it can
            > actually
            > > GENERATE more power by "sining" up & down.
            > >
            > > > and was extremely
            > > > hard to turn. The bar is extremely short (don't know how short
            > > > sorry) but it is less than my shoulder width....
            > >
            > > Mine came with a rather short bar too. When you say "hard", do
            you
            > mean you
            > > were moving the bar a lot, with little effect? If that's the
            case,
            > a longer
            > > bar should help. Keep in mind that for higher winds you won't
            > WANT it to
            > > have too much effect.
            > >
            > > > by the way the 11.9 is a high wind kite for me hoping for a
            range
            > of
            > > > 18 - 28 knots on my underground dinner tray - I'm 100kg this
            > should
            > > > be realistic?
            > >
            > > I think you'll find your range to be very close to that (with a
            few
            > knots
            > > added to each end, once you get the hang of it).
            > >
            > > Mel
          • callum_downie
            Hey Kenny, thanks for the reply. Had the 11.9 out yesterday arvo in gusty winds from about 12 to 28 knots. Feels like an awesome kite when powered up!! The
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
            • 0 Attachment
              Hey Kenny, thanks for the reply.

              Had the 11.9 out yesterday arvo in gusty winds from about 12 to 28
              knots. Feels like an awesome kite when powered up!! The little bar
              I have on it makes it really hard to turn when it wasn't so powerd,
              it made signing the kite through some of the bigger holes hard... I
              might need a slightly longer bar. I'll fly it a few more times before
              I make a decission on that!

              I would put the bar load at about 2 1/2 times as much as the
              airblasts, I'm either going to have to take me spinnache and get some
              pop eye forearms or used a bungy I think!!

              Thanks

              Callum

              --- In ksurfschool@y..., "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...> wrote:
              > Callum,
              >
              > I have a RRD 11.9 and a 8.4 AB. The 11.9 does fly slower than the
              > 8.4 AB, but the bar load is greater as well. As long as you don't
              > mind working your forearms, the 11.9 should be a great kite for
              you.
              > It is a stable, well-built kite. I think you just need some more
              > wind.
              >
              > Kenny
            • Mel
              ... Bungees are great, but also keep in mind it s pretty easy to set up a power booster bridle (just add a pulley & a bit of line), like on your AirBlast,
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
              • 0 Attachment
                callum_downie <callum_downie@...> wrote:

                > I would put the bar load at about 2 1/2 times as much as the
                > airblasts, I'm either going to have to take me spinnache and get some
                > pop eye forearms or used a bungy I think!!

                Bungees are great, but also keep in mind it's pretty easy to set up a "power
                booster" bridle (just add a pulley & a bit of line), like on your AirBlast,
                but without the reverse launch option.

                Mel
              • callum_downie
                ... some ... a power ... AirBlast, ... Yeah, that thought has passed my mind, I like to call it the power steering bridal because thats what it basicly is....
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
                  > callum_downie <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I would put the bar load at about 2 1/2 times as much as the
                  > > airblasts, I'm either going to have to take me spinnache and get
                  some
                  > > pop eye forearms or used a bungy I think!!
                  >
                  > Bungees are great, but also keep in mind it's pretty easy to set up
                  a "power
                  > booster" bridle (just add a pulley & a bit of line), like on your
                  AirBlast,
                  > but without the reverse launch option.

                  Yeah, that thought has passed my mind, I like to call it the power
                  steering bridal because thats what it basicly is.... it is very
                  tempting, I like only being in the chicken loop....

                  Cheers
                  Callum
                • callum_downie
                  If I rig a bridal I ll ahve to change the leaseh to be a front line leash as well won t I? Cheers Callum ... get ... up
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
                  • 0 Attachment
                    If I rig a bridal I'll ahve to change the leaseh to be a front line
                    leash as well won't I?

                    Cheers
                    Callum

                    --- In ksurfschool@y..., "callum_downie" <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
                    > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
                    > > callum_downie <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > I would put the bar load at about 2 1/2 times as much as the
                    > > > airblasts, I'm either going to have to take me spinnache and
                    get
                    > some
                    > > > pop eye forearms or used a bungy I think!!
                    > >
                    > > Bungees are great, but also keep in mind it's pretty easy to set
                    up
                    > a "power
                    > > booster" bridle (just add a pulley & a bit of line), like on your
                    > AirBlast,
                    > > but without the reverse launch option.
                    >
                    > Yeah, that thought has passed my mind, I like to call it the power
                    > steering bridal because thats what it basicly is.... it is very
                    > tempting, I like only being in the chicken loop....
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > Callum
                  • Dwight & Jacky
                    Yes
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Yes


                      > If I rig a bridal I'll ahve to change the leaseh to be a front line
                      > leash as well won't I?
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > Callum
                    • Mel
                      But it s very simple. Just tie a stainless O-ring to the top of the center leader/adjustment. Then tie one front leader/line directly to that O-ring. Take
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 14, 2001
                      • 0 Attachment
                        But it's very simple. Just tie a stainless O-ring to the top of the center
                        leader/adjustment. Then tie one front leader/line directly to that O-ring.
                        Take the second front leader/line, & feed it through the O-ring, & tie it to
                        a second O-ring. Add a plastic stopper ring a kitespan up the second front
                        line*. Now just make a short leash to connect from the lower ring to your
                        harness (or wrist).
                        *Instructional photo sequence coming soon to a kitesurf group file near you!

                        Mel
                        ----- Original Message -----
                        From: Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...>
                        To: <ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com>
                        Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 7:07 PM
                        Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Setting up an RRD type iv


                        > Yes
                        >
                        >
                        > > If I rig a bridal I'll ahve to change the leaseh to be a front line
                        > > leash as well won't I?
                        > >
                        > > Cheers
                        > > Callum
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        >
                        >
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.