Setting up an RRD type iv

  • callum_downie
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 12, 2001
      Hey everyone,

      I brought an RRD Type iv 11.9 not long ago but am having some trouble
      with it.

      To fill you in, I have been flying kites for over a year now, Have
      spent the majority of that time on my 11.8 airblast - which I love.
      With the airblast being a rather unique four line kite to setup I am
      having dificulties with this more conventional kite.

      I have set it up so the lines are even when I have the fixed power
      adjuster in the middle (so i can either make the front line shorter
      or longer from there) and so I am in the trim loop with the bar at a
      comfortable distance from my body. Does this sound alright?
      I have only flown the kite about 4 times and each time the wind has
      been dying. I found the kite had very little pull and was extremely
      hard to turn. The bar is extremely short (don't know how short
      sorry) but it is less than my shoulder width....

      Anyone got any tips?

      Perhaps I juts need to get it in a decent breeze!

      by the way the 11.9 is a high wind kite for me hoping for a range of
      18 - 28 knots on my underground dinner tray - I'm 100kg this should
      be realistic? I can hold my 11.8ab in a good 20...

      Cheers
      Callum
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 12, 2001
        callum_downie <callum_downie@...> wrote:

        > I brought an RRD Type iv 11.9 ...
        > I have set it up so the lines are even when I have the fixed power
        > adjuster in the middle (so i can either make the front line shorter
        > or longer from there) and so I am in the trim loop with the bar at a
        > comfortable distance from my body. Does this sound alright?

        I've got quite a bit of experience with the Type IV, but in the 8.9 size.
        The best tip I can give you is that you want to be able to go all the way
        from slack back lines (when fully powered up) to slack FRONT lines. If
        you're in the trim loop, it's most comfortable to ride with your waist &
        arms straight, & ideally you want to be able to set the adjustment strap to
        accomplish that while maintaining full power in the current conditions.
        Other than that, measuring the leaders can be quite misleading, since the
        front lines usually stretch quite a bit more than the rears.

        > I have only flown the kite about 4 times and each time the wind has
        > been dying. I found the kite had very little pull...

        I assume you're already aware that the 11.9 is MUCH smaller than your 11.8
        (less than 3/4 the size). I got the most power out of my 8.9 with the front
        lines slack, except that makes it harder to "work", so for very light winds
        I'd actually adjust for slightly less power, since then it can actually
        GENERATE more power by "sining" up & down.

        > and was extremely
        > hard to turn. The bar is extremely short (don't know how short
        > sorry) but it is less than my shoulder width....

        Mine came with a rather short bar too. When you say "hard", do you mean you
        were moving the bar a lot, with little effect? If that's the case, a longer
        bar should help. Keep in mind that for higher winds you won't WANT it to
        have too much effect.

        > by the way the 11.9 is a high wind kite for me hoping for a range of
        > 18 - 28 knots on my underground dinner tray - I'm 100kg this should
        > be realistic?

        I think you'll find your range to be very close to that (with a few knots
        added to each end, once you get the hang of it).

        Mel
      • callum_downie
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 12, 2001
          Thanks for your reply Mel,

          Sounds like I should have it pretty well close to what you said.
          I actually replaced the center trim line with another one so i could
          give myself more sheeting range - beeing taller and having longer
          arms I can give myself more range than what the bar had as standard -
          almost twice as much. Next time I use it I'll check the line lengths
          again to see if they are still even then I'll set it up with even
          presure so I can easily sheet in or out till I get a better feel for
          the kite.

          By being hard to turn, I meant Alot of pulling for not much return,
          and it was hard to pull the bar (used to the bridal steering on the
          11.8 though). I really think and hope this was because the wind had
          dropped too much!!

          Yeah I know the 11.9 is alot smaller than the 11.8 - I brought the
          11.9 thinking it would be similar in power to the 8.4ab, but
          hopefully not as fast!!

          What a crazy crazy mixed up world - the 11.9 being much smaller than
          the 11.8!! Hopefully these manufacturers get there shit sorted -
          doesn't really matter how they measure if they would all do it the
          same that would be a good start!!

          Callum

        • Mel
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 12, 2001
            callum_downie <callum_downie@...> wrote:

            > By being hard to turn, I meant Alot of pulling for not much return,
            > and it was hard to pull the bar (used to the bridal steering on the
            > 11.8 though). I really think and hope this was because the wind had
            > dropped too much!!

            Bar load was even a bit more than my AR5, but it never bothered me, since I
            just used a shorter bar (similar to what's supplied), & still jumped higher
            & pointed higher. I didn't care that I had to be in the bungee harness line
            a bit more.

            > Yeah I know the 11.9 is alot smaller than the 11.8 - I brought the
            > 11.9 thinking it would be similar in power to the 8.4ab, but
            > hopefully not as fast!!

            I found the 8.9 to be much more stable (less "twichy") than the AR5.

            > What a crazy crazy mixed up world - the 11.9 being much smaller than
            > the 11.8!! Hopefully these manufacturers get there shit sorted -
            > doesn't really matter how they measure if they would all do it the
            > same that would be a good start!!

            No kidding!! Even the North 16 is smaller than the 11.8!!

            Mel
          • fernmanus
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
              Callum,

              I have a RRD 11.9 and a 8.4 AB. The 11.9 does fly slower than the
              8.4 AB, but the bar load is greater as well. As long as you don't
              mind working your forearms, the 11.9 should be a great kite for you.
              It is a stable, well-built kite. I think you just need some more
              wind.

              Kenny

            • callum_downie
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
                Hey Kenny, thanks for the reply.

                Had the 11.9 out yesterday arvo in gusty winds from about 12 to 28
                knots. Feels like an awesome kite when powered up!! The little bar
                I have on it makes it really hard to turn when it wasn't so powerd,
                it made signing the kite through some of the bigger holes hard... I
                might need a slightly longer bar. I'll fly it a few more times before
                I make a decission on that!

                I would put the bar load at about 2 1/2 times as much as the
                airblasts, I'm either going to have to take me spinnache and get some
                pop eye forearms or used a bungy I think!!

                Thanks

                Callum

                --- In ksurfschool@y..., "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...> wrote:
                > Callum,
                >
                > I have a RRD 11.9 and a 8.4 AB. The 11.9 does fly slower than the
                > 8.4 AB, but the bar load is greater as well. As long as you don't
                > mind working your forearms, the 11.9 should be a great kite for
                you.
                > It is a stable, well-built kite. I think you just need some more
                > wind.
                >
                > Kenny
              • Mel
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
                  callum_downie <callum_downie@...> wrote:

                  > I would put the bar load at about 2 1/2 times as much as the
                  > airblasts, I'm either going to have to take me spinnache and get some
                  > pop eye forearms or used a bungy I think!!

                  Bungees are great, but also keep in mind it's pretty easy to set up a "power
                  booster" bridle (just add a pulley & a bit of line), like on your AirBlast,
                  but without the reverse launch option.

                  Mel
                • callum_downie
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
                    --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
                    > callum_downie <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I would put the bar load at about 2 1/2 times as much as the
                    > > airblasts, I'm either going to have to take me spinnache and get
                    some
                    > > pop eye forearms or used a bungy I think!!
                    >
                    > Bungees are great, but also keep in mind it's pretty easy to set up
                    a "power
                    > booster" bridle (just add a pulley & a bit of line), like on your
                    AirBlast,
                    > but without the reverse launch option.

                    Yeah, that thought has passed my mind, I like to call it the power
                    steering bridal because thats what it basicly is.... it is very
                    tempting, I like only being in the chicken loop....

                    Cheers
                    Callum
                  • callum_downie
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
                      If I rig a bridal I'll ahve to change the leaseh to be a front line
                      leash as well won't I?

                      Cheers
                      Callum

                      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "callum_downie" <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
                      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
                      > > callum_downie <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > I would put the bar load at about 2 1/2 times as much as the
                      > > > airblasts, I'm either going to have to take me spinnache and
                      get
                      > some
                      > > > pop eye forearms or used a bungy I think!!
                      > >
                      > > Bungees are great, but also keep in mind it's pretty easy to set
                      up
                      > a "power
                      > > booster" bridle (just add a pulley & a bit of line), like on your
                      > AirBlast,
                      > > but without the reverse launch option.
                      >
                      > Yeah, that thought has passed my mind, I like to call it the power
                      > steering bridal because thats what it basicly is.... it is very
                      > tempting, I like only being in the chicken loop....
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > Callum
                    • Dwight & Jacky
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
                        Yes

                        > If I rig a bridal I'll ahve to change the leaseh to be a front line
                        > leash as well won't I?
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        > Callum
                      • Mel
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 14, 2001
                          But it's very simple. Just tie a stainless O-ring to the top of the center
                          leader/adjustment. Then tie one front leader/line directly to that O-ring.
                          Take the second front leader/line, & feed it through the O-ring, & tie it to
                          a second O-ring. Add a plastic stopper ring a kitespan up the second front
                          line*. Now just make a short leash to connect from the lower ring to your
                          harness (or wrist).
                          *Instructional photo sequence coming soon to a kitesurf group file near you!