Re: Looking for tropical kitesurfing lessons

  • fernmanus
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12 4:16 PM
      If you decide on learning at Kailua, make sure that you spend some
      time using a trainer kite first before your trip. The land owners at
      Kailua are very concerned about kite surfing. All teachers require
      that you spend time flying a trainer for several hours before
      launching a large kite. You can skip right to the lesson if you are
      already proficient at flying the kite.

      A less tropical destination that is better than Kailua is Belmont
      Shores in Long Beech, CA. The beach is huge and the wind is steady.
      It is less crowded than Kailua and local instuction is available.

      Both Kailua and Belmont Shores are not very windy during the winter
      months. If you plan to go in January, Maui is your best bet for wind.

      Kenny

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "rcastag" <russell@c...> wrote:
      > Oahu, HI rocks! Kailua is the best place in the world to learn
      kitesurfing or windsurfing!!

      > Here's a good link:
      > http://www.kitesurf-hawaii.com/
      >
      > There are at least 8 excellent companies that give lessons here!
      >

      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "SFH" <sfh1@e...> wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > > Does anyone know of a tropical windsurf destination that also
      teaches how to
      > > kite surf? How about Maui?
      > > Thanks,
      > > Steve
    • fernmanus
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12 4:20 PM
        The best conditions for learning are moderate winds 15 - 20 mph. In
        these conditions you could learn using a mid-sized kite and a larger
        board. High winds are more difficult because the kite moves so
        quickly and the power is either "on" or "off". Light winds are tough
        because it is difficult to relaunch the really big kites and big
        kites luff and fall more often in the hands of a beginner.

        Kenny