Looking for tropical kitesurfing lessons

  • SFH
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2001
      Hi,
      Does anyone know of a tropical windsurf destination that also teaches how to
      kite surf? How about Maui?
      Thanks,
      Steve
    • fernmanus
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2001
        Steve,

        Plenty of instruction available on Maui. Just be aware that the wind
        is stronger on Maui than most other locations. So, the kite sizes
        that you use on Maui may be quite a bit smaller than what you use at
        home.

        Kenny

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2001
          Kenny is right. The last time I was in Maui, Spring 1999, I couldn't
          use my Wipika Classic 5.0 (I should have spent the money and bought a
          used Wipika Classic 3.5 then, instead of spending most of the time
          windsurfing). Either ways, I had wonderful time in Maui...

          Most tropical windsurfing destinations should teach kitesurfing by now.
          For a list of all the schools in Maui or other tropical schools, check
          http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/schools.htm

          I will add a few more in the next update (January 2002)

          Hung.

          fernmanus wrote:

          > Steve,
          >
          > Plenty of instruction available on Maui. Just be aware that the wind
          > is stronger on Maui than most other locations. So, the kite sizes
          > that you use on Maui may be quite a bit smaller than what you use at
          > home.
          >
          > Kenny
          >
          > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "SFH" <sfh1@e...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > > Does anyone know of a tropical windsurf destination that also
          > teaches how to
          > > kite surf? How about Maui?
          > > Thanks,
          > > Steve

        • SFH
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2001
            > Plenty of instruction available on Maui. Just be aware that the wind
            > is stronger on Maui than most other locations. So, the kite sizes
            > that you use on Maui may be quite a bit smaller than what you use at
            > home.
            > Kenny

            Thank you for your response! I used to live on Maui and wavesailed the north
            shore whenever their were waves, so I am aware of how windy it gets there,
            but is it more or less difficult as a total beginner on a small kite on a
            windy day, as opposed to a 16.4 on an eight knot day for example?
          • rcastag
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10, 2001
              Oahu, HI rocks! Kailua is the best place in the world to learn kitesurfing or windsurfing!!

              Here's a good link:
              http://www.kitesurf-hawaii.com/

              There are at least 8 excellent companies that give lessons here!

              --- In ksurfschool@y..., "SFH" <sfh1@e...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              > Does anyone know of a tropical windsurf destination that also teaches how to
              > kite surf? How about Maui?
              > Thanks,
              > Steve
            • fernmanus
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 12, 2001
                If you decide on learning at Kailua, make sure that you spend some
                time using a trainer kite first before your trip. The land owners at
                Kailua are very concerned about kite surfing. All teachers require
                that you spend time flying a trainer for several hours before
                launching a large kite. You can skip right to the lesson if you are
                already proficient at flying the kite.

                A less tropical destination that is better than Kailua is Belmont
                Shores in Long Beech, CA. The beach is huge and the wind is steady.
                It is less crowded than Kailua and local instuction is available.

                Both Kailua and Belmont Shores are not very windy during the winter
                months. If you plan to go in January, Maui is your best bet for wind.

                Kenny

                --- In ksurfschool@y..., "rcastag" <russell@c...> wrote:
                > Oahu, HI rocks! Kailua is the best place in the world to learn
                kitesurfing or windsurfing!!

                > Here's a good link:
                > http://www.kitesurf-hawaii.com/
                >
                > There are at least 8 excellent companies that give lessons here!
                >

                > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "SFH" <sfh1@e...> wrote:
                > > Hi,
                > > Does anyone know of a tropical windsurf destination that also
                teaches how to
                > > kite surf? How about Maui?
                > > Thanks,
                > > Steve
              • fernmanus
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 12, 2001
                  The best conditions for learning are moderate winds 15 - 20 mph. In
                  these conditions you could learn using a mid-sized kite and a larger
                  board. High winds are more difficult because the kite moves so
                  quickly and the power is either "on" or "off". Light winds are tough
                  because it is difficult to relaunch the really big kites and big
                  kites luff and fall more often in the hands of a beginner.